picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creators

Ingredients

J

JBerg612

Oily/Resilient

dot525 Views

Does anyone else make their own Vitamin C serum?🤷‍♂️🍊

I was sick and tired of my vitamin C serum’s oxidizing after only a couple weeks of opening them. I spent all this money on an expensive vitamin C serum and only got to use about an eighth of it (even if I stored it in the fridge!!!!). I saw a post on FB about how someone made their own vitamin c serum and loved it. After a little research, I ended up buying 100% L-Ascorbic Acid powder, 3% resveratrol + 3% ferulic acid serum, Snail Mucin essence, and a topical vitamin e oil. I make a vitamin c serum every morning in the palm of my hand. It literally takes less than 60 seconds. In the beginning, I made sure the pH of my serum was between 2.6-3.5 with pH test strips. It took a few days with trial and error to concoct a vitamin C serum that works perfectly with my skin. Now I know exactly how much of each product I need to make a 20% Vitamim C serum with a stable pH of 2.6-3.5. The vitamin E oil and ferulic acid help stabilize the Ascorbic Acid and they work better with it. I’m never going back to buying a premade vitamin c serum ever again. I’ve been using my homemade vitamin C serum for the last 2.5 months and I can see a HUGE difference in my skin compared to the premade vitamin c serums I would buy (Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum, TO Vitamin C suspension 23%, Timeless Vitamin C+E Ferulic Serum, etc) Also, it’s pretty cheap, especially for how long these will last. After 2.5 months I’ve barely made a dent in the Ascorbic Acid powder. it doesn’t oxidize much at all because it’s in powder form. It suspect it will last me over 1.5 years!!! 😲 Prices: 1) TO L-Ascorbic Acid Powder: $6 2) TO 3% Resveratrol + 3% ferulic acid: $8 3) Cosrx Snail Mucin essence: $16 4) Finest Nutrition topical Vitamin e oil: $6 Total: $36 Have any of you tried making your own Vitamin C serum? If so, what products did you mix with the powder? I’m running low on my Snail Mucin and I’m looking to buy it again or even something new.
carousel
carousel
carousel
100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder

The Ordinary
100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder

star rating

(64)

favorite

Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

COSRX
Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

star rating

(2923)

favorite

Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%

The Ordinary
Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%

star rating

(48)

favorite

upvote

comment

38 Comments

KDanielle  user profile picture

KDanielle

Oily/Resilient

I have not tried making my own vitamin c serum and probably won’t. I don’t want to play chemist. I’ll leave that up to the formulators and actual chemist lol. That powder probably won’t last you that long. it’s a date on it for a reason after opening, those powders are good for no more than a year, usually 6 months. Vitamin c didn’t really do anything for my skin so I stopped using it. I use other things like tranexamic acid. And I love that snail mucin. definitely a favorite
upvote

comment

Alca user profile picture

Alca

Oily/Resilient

Interesting, I had no idea that you could easily make vitamin C serum at home. 😯 But I most likely won't attempt to make it myself because I was never very good at chemistry, so I wouldn't be confident to use it on my face. 😅 It's good to hear it works great for you. 😊
upvote

comment

Littledarling27 user profile picture
super picky user badge

Littledarling27

Oily/Resilient

It's interesting but I won't try it myself, it's too risky 😒😒
upvote

comment

Skincarebuddy07 user profile picture

Skincarebuddy07

Oily/Sensitive

same...
upvote

comment

amg3268 user profile picture

amg3268

Oily/Sensitive

I’ve always wanted to try the timeless, did that one oxidize super quickly on you too 😅
upvote

comment

J

JBerg612

Oily/Resilient

not SUPER quickly. but still fast. that has L-Ascorbic Acid in it. so it can oxidize faster than other derivatives of vitamin c. I only recommend people using L-Ascorbic acid in a vitamin c serum, not a derivative of vitamin c. only because there’s so much research that proves L Ascorbic Acid helps with collagen production and brightening the skin. other derivatives of vitamin c haven’t been studied long enough to know if they’re effective. or at least that’s what a lot of dermatologists say that I follow on YouTube and Instagram.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Meditherapy | Wrinkle-fit Tangle Eye Cream event

Picky x Meditherapy | Wrinkle-fit Tangle Eye Cream

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 3rd

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!