picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creators

Routine Help

SkincareUnni82 user profile picture

SkincareUnni82

Dry/Resilient

dot1,100 Views

How do y'all use retinol as a part of your routine?

So, I just wanted to ask y'all how you use retinol (eg. do you use it directly on bare skin, do you use it after toner or do you use it after hyaluronic acid etc.) in your skincare routine. So, let me know what your routine for using retinol is. I'm curious and interested to know more ways to use retinol effectively. Also, it'd be great if you guys could share some tips with me about how to reduce the dryness after retinol usage. Thank you! 😊
upvote

comment

117 Comments

saskiaskin user profile picture

saskiaskin

Oily/Resilient

I use it after toner but wait for the toner to dry down so I’m not applying on damp skin. applying on damp skin can increase irritation. But when I first started I buffered and applied as a last step after moisturiser. once my skin became used to retinol I moved it to direct skin application. And to avoid dryness you may need a richer moisturiser.
upvote

comment

SkincareUnni82

Dry/Resilient

Ah..okay. Good to know about your routine and I've actually never heard of anyone using it after moisturizer, so thats interesting. Also, thank you for your suggestion! πŸ’«
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

I use it on clean skin and let it dry for a bit until I apply the moisturiser. I use it 3-4x a week and avoid any other actives in that routine. If I feel that my skin feels drier, I reduce the frequency. Another thing to consider is to use a moisturiser before applying retinoids and after - basically a sandwich method.
upvote

comment

SkincareUnni82

Dry/Resilient

The Sandwich Method sounds cool! I'll try it next time. Thank you!
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

I use it after using my niacinamide seru in the PM then after my skin absorbs it I apply a moisturizer over it 😊
upvote

comment

SkincareUnni82

Dry/Resilient

I've never used Niacinamide before retinol. I've actually only used a soothing toner or Hyaluronic acid serum, so this is interesting to me. Thanks for letting me know!
upvote

comment

P

Pattypan

Dry/Sensitive

I use mine after moisturizer and wait to completely dry after going to the next step which is retinol because I've watched that Putting moisturizer first before using retinol can lessen the irritation on the skin. Just make sure that the moisturizer was absorbed completely into the skin before applying retinol.
upvote

comment

SkincareUnni82

Dry/Resilient

Okay! Great method! Thank you for sharing.
upvote

comment

hexamuted user profile picture

hexamuted

Dry/Resilient

I put it on after my glycolic toner dries. and then I let the retinol dry completely before putting anything else on.
upvote

comment

triedbutnotested user profile picture

triedbutnotested

Dry/Resilient

Hi,i have question doesn't it irritate for you using glycolic acid & retinol in the same routine ?, coz i heard & read AHA & retinol not be used in same routine as it might lead to irritation.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Hanskin | Glow Retinol Serum & Cream  event

Picky x Hanskin | Glow Retinol Serum & Cream

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 3rd

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!