picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

ParisJ user profile picture

ParisJ

Oily/Sensitive

dot98 Views

Tips for hormonal acne?

I get acne on my chin and jawline the week of and the week before my period. I really don't want to take birth control for it because of the risk of making it worse plus all of the other 50 million side effects. It's usually a group of 3 pimples that pop up at the same time and I'm also noticing some scarring after they disappear even though I never pick or pop them. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do or use that isn't going the birth control route? I'm open to not only product suggestions but also any lifestyle/dietary change recommendations. Thanks 💜
upvote

comment

6 Comments

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

Honestly birth control was the only thing that worked on my hormonal acne, and trust me I have used many products without success...I haven't experienced any detrimental effects so far and I have been using it since I was 15. If you ate worried about side effects I would ask to be prescribed the lowest dose available 😊
upvote

comment

ParisJ

Oily/Sensitive

Do you take the combo pill? I heard people see better results with that
upvote

comment

qilss user profile picture
picky squad user badge

qilss

Oily/Resilient

Hormonal acne is honestly so hard to deal with 😣 I haven't found anything that truly works yet. And yes they will scar even without picking on them. What I'm currently doing is using a 4% salicylic acid as a spot treatment as well as using acne patches. You can try looking into benzoyl peroxide or adapalene. Some find that it works for them. Picky team recently made a video about hormonal acne on their YouTube channel with an expert so you can check that out too.
BHA Salicylic Acid 4% Exfoliant Serum with Niacinamide

Cos de Baha
BHA Salicylic Acid 4% Exfoliant Serum with Niacinamide

star rating

(16)

favorite

Anti-Bacterial Acne Patch

OXY
Anti-Bacterial Acne Patch

star rating

(10)

favorite

upvote

comment

ParisJ

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you so much I will look into these! I have tried benzoyl peroxide for my chin but it only seems to work for my back acne
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

You can only do so much in terms of topical treatment when it comes to hormonal acne. Your hormones get affected by your general health, exercise, diet, stress levels, sleep patterns etc - so there's lots you can experiment with. However mine went away in no time when I went on a pill - although I started taking it for other reasons. I would suggest you see a doctor and discuss your options, they might be able to check your hormone levels and help you make the right decision.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x VT | Reedle Shot 100 & PDRN Hydrogel Mask event

Picky x VT | Reedle Shot 100 & PDRN Hydrogel Mask

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 9th

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!