picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creators

Routine Help

Alca user profile picture

Alca

Oily/Resilient

dot388 Views

At which step to apply sunscreen?

"Sunscreen is always the last step!" Is that what you answered? πŸ™‚ Sorry to disappoint, but it's not so straightforward. When you search for routine order, you'll always find the routine ending with moisturizer and then sunscreen. But in fact, the order depends on the sunscreen type. πŸ”† PHYSICAL sunscreens should be applied as the last step, AFTER moisturizer because they reflect the sun rays directly and need to be on top. πŸ”† CHEMICAL sunscreens, on the other hand, should be applied BEFORE moisturizer because they need to absorb into the skin for them to work correctly. If you were to apply it as the last step, occlusive ingredients in moisturizer may decrease the amount of absorbed sunscreen and it won't give you the claimed protection. I'm not sure where does that leave hybrid sunscreens but I'd probably decide based on which sunscreen ingredient comes first on the list πŸ˜‰ At which step have you been applying your sunscreen and what type? πŸ™‚ Edit: changed the misleading word "penetrate" to "absorb", sorry, English is not my native language πŸ˜–
upvote

comment

30 Comments

pickycutiepie user profile picture

pickycutiepie

Oily/Sensitive

not entirely true - chemical sunscreens do not need to 'penetrate' the skin to work both chemical and physical sunscreens work straight out of the bottle, they just need to form a continuous film on ur skin, so u can apply both the same way source : lab muffin https://labmuffin.com/chemical-vs-physical-sunscreens-the-science-with-video/
upvote

comment

lizakathryn user profile picture

lizakathryn

Dry/Sensitive

yes! this is true!
upvote

comment

157min user profile picture

157min

Dry/Resilient

yeah, this is kinda misleading. Your skin act as barrier and the sunscreen does not penetrate your skin. Both sunscreen works the same by absorbing UV and turns it to heat, and these were proven by chemists and dermatologist. The only difference is physical sunscreen absorb 95% of UV and only 5% were scattered or reflected away.
upvote

comment

Hanaya user profile picture

Hanaya

Oily/Sensitive

I apply after moisturizer and it's physical sunscreen only BUT I never heard about this, thank you so much for sharing 😊
upvote

comment

Ozu user profile picture
super picky user badge

Ozu

Oily/Sensitive

I simply just follow the direction of each spf bottle☺️
upvote

comment

Yerenica user profile picture

Yerenica

Dry/Sensitive

sameπŸ™‚
upvote

comment

MeliAnn user profile picture

MeliAnn

Dry/Sensitive

Last, before you put makeup on.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Meditherapy | Wrinkle-fit Tangle Eye Cream event

Picky x Meditherapy | Wrinkle-fit Tangle Eye Cream

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 3rd

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!