Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus βž•

Ingredients

theskinilivein user profile picture
super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

dot1,423 Views

"Western" vs. "Eastern" skincare ingredients πŸ€”

Hello lovelies πŸ₯° So a thought got into my head when doing research for my K-Beauty skincare purchase using the wonderful Picky X Wishtrend promo. I live in the US and am used to skincare marketed around ingredients like hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, retinol, etc. When looking at the K-Beauty skincare products, I saw that they were mostly advertised around ingredients such as Centella asiatica, rice, mugwort, aloe vera, propolis, honey, etc So, my question for those of you lucky peeps who have had the chance to try both the "western" and "eastern" skincare types is: Do you think ingredients from one category have overall had more benefits on your skin compared to the other category, or do you think they have similar benefits? Let me know what you think down below and I would love to learn from you πŸ‘‡πŸ₯°
upvote

comment

58 Comments

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

I feel that ingredients on both sides are great and beneficial but it's just a matter of who the key customers are and what's on trend. Many products contain glycerin but neither Western nor Eastern skincare companies put it on the labels as a star ingredient because it's not on trend. Companies just feed the demand. But this is where apps like Picky are so handy - we can actually educate ourselves, read the ingredients list rather than the marketing labels and choose the best of the both worlds πŸ’«πŸ’―
upvote

comment

super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

I agree with you that the target customer group and trends definitely play a big role in marketing strategies 😊
upvote

comment

Hebskin user profile picture

Hebskin

Oily/Sensitive

I’m in the UK and have always used Western but my skin has never been good, until I tried out some Korean products after looking on here and elsewhere and have never looked back 🧑 omg the difference in my skin is incredible. but I do still use western brands for certain products I love! just depends what your looking for and to help what concerns
upvote

comment

super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you for sharing your experience, it is great that this app helped you find your holy grails 😊
upvote

comment

J
super picky user badge

Jeannie88

Dry/Sensitive

When I was much younger, Japanese or Korean brands were not easily available so I used Western brands. However, they never really worked as well for me and it took me over 20years before I got my hands on Kbeauty skincare and it changed my life.
upvote

comment

katydee user profile picture

katydee

Oily/Resilient

same!! yes can’t agree enough! I started using k beauty thru vianacare about 5 years ago and it’s completely changed how I use products! they do so much more for our skin than hiked up western brands claim to do! πŸ₯°
upvote

comment

Skincareat40 user profile picture

Skincareat40

Dry/Sensitive

like the others here started using western skincare but was allergic to a lot of products. I discovered J and K beauty a few years back and started trying out products. Now I use a mix of both. I think you should be able to get the best of both worlds, right?
upvote

comment

super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

Exactly! I agree with "the best of both worlds" concept 😍😍😍
upvote

comment

NothingButGrace user profile picture

NothingButGrace

Oily/Sensitive

I am a Korean Skincare fiend! However there definitely is a place for more westernized skincare/formulations, retinol possibly being the bigger one. I think there is definitely room for both in each person's routine depending on their skin needs. β™‘
upvote

comment

super picky user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

I agree with you, it doesn't have to be all black and white πŸ₯°
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x 9Wishes | Rice Foaming Cleanser event

Picky x 9Wishes | Rice Foaming Cleanser

Audience

All Users

Deadline

June 21th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!