picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creators

Routine Help

nattyskinfan user profile picture

nattyskinfan

Oily/Sensitive

dot192 Views

How many nights of each?

I have retinol, gentle exfoliation, and barrier repair nighttime routines, but haven’t been able to figure out how often to do each. My goals are to keep my skin clear and alleviate the clogged pores I have. I’m supposed to use 15% azelaic acid nightly for my rosacea, too, which my skin tolerates well in all routines (and seems to help my acne too). Considering all this, how many nights a week do you think I should do each routine?
upvote

comment

12 Comments

wonderwoman72 user profile picture
super picky user badge

wonderwoman72

Dry/Resilient

I would use the exfoliant 1-2 times a week since you have rosacea. The retinol, I would introduce slowly in the evening twice a week and if there’s no irritation, increase to three times the following week and so on. Be sure to wear sunscreen during the day as it will make your skin more sun sensitive! Azelaic Acid actually can be combined with retinol (they play well together) but because of your skin issues, I would use it on the evenings your not using retinol to avoid irritation. I’m not sure what the barrier repair product is but you should include something that has ceramides, cholesterol and fatty acids to help repair the skin barrier plus it will help with any irritation from the retinol. I hope this helps! ❤️❤️
upvote

comment

Lingua user profile picture
super picky user badge

Lingua

Dry/Resilient

great information!thank you
upvote

comment

Dewyfication user profile picture

Dewyfication

Oily/Sensitive

Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of content related to “Skin Cycling”, and this is how it goes: 1 night: Exfoliation 2 night: Retinol 3-4 night: barrier repair. Then you repeat it all over. IMO this works wonders, but every skin is different, so you should be careful and keep an eye on your skin in case you see irritation.
upvote

comment

devydshop user profile picture
super picky user badge

devydshop

Dry/Resilient

you should try this
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

I would use a barrier repair moisturiser and azelaic acid every night. Retinol a few times a week, depending on how well your skin has been adjusted to it. You can always start with once a week and increase the frequency depending on your skin's tolerance. Gentle exfoliation can be used in the morning if it's e.g. SA less than 1%, just make sure you wear sunscreen. Start slow and see how your skin behaves - we all have different tolerance levels for actives 🤗
upvote

comment

susanH user profile picture

susanH

Dry/Resilient

I do exfoliation in the morning. Lactic acid is one of the least sensitizing and can also work as a bit of a humectant so that one works well in the morning. I do retinol pretty much every day so I don't really cycle I just add my cerimides, pro and pre biotic, and peptides into my daily routines
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Neopharm | Realbarrier Extreme Cream event

Picky x Neopharm | Realbarrier Extreme Cream

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 3rd

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!