picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creators

Routine Help

KataSalata user profile picture

KataSalata

Dry/Sensitive

dot70 Views

Help with dry and sensitive skin during acne treatment

Hello! I have just started my acne treatment with a new dermatologist who prescribed a benzoyl peroxide + clindamycine gel and a prescription retinol after two weeks. The acne have started to clear up, but I'm left with extremely dry, tight and sensitive skin. The dermatologist said that's to be expected and it should resolve after a few weeks as my skin adjusts. They recommended I steer clear from thick and heavy creams in order not to clog my pores. I'm kind of scared to start retinol in a few days, so what are your best recommendations to strengthen my skin barrier until then. I use BoJ serum in the morning and Mixa cream at night. I'm not using any actives at the moment. Is there anything you would add or change?
Revive Serum Ginseng + Snail Mucin

BEAUTY OF JOSEON
Revive Serum Ginseng + Snail Mucin

star rating

(288)

favorite

Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ PA++++

SKIN1004
Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(2897)

favorite

Ceramide Protect Creme

Mixa
Ceramide Protect Creme

star rating

(1)

favorite

upvote

comment

11 Comments

pavementflower user profile picture
picky squad user badge

pavementflower

Oily/Sensitive

Oh wow, THREE things prescribed?????? I wouldnt start the retinoid until your skin adjusts, but I'd double check w your derm. Might I rec this as a potential moisturizer? It's thick but doesnt break me out, and has loads of nourishing ingredients dry skin needs.
Dermide Relief Barrier Moisturizer

PURITO
Dermide Relief Barrier Moisturizer

star rating

(240)

favorite

upvote

comment

robinhop user profile picture
super picky user badge

robinhop

Dry/Sensitive

Great moisturizer
upvote

comment

robinhop user profile picture
super picky user badge

robinhop

Dry/Sensitive

With any prescription retinoid, and even the benzoyl peroxide will most definitely dry out your skin. Retinol is designed to speed up cellular turnover to shed dead skin cells and make way for the new but can also irritate and dry out skin. You want to slowly incorporate your retinol like every 2 to 3 days to let your skin become accustomed. And your already using the Benz. Prox that can dry out the skin so you definitely want to use a moisturizer. You can even sandwich method the retinol to buffer if to irritating, where you moisturizer + retinol + moisturizer. Products with ceramides and centella Asiatica are your best friends for calming, reinforcing the skin barrier while moisturizing the skin. Look for products that won’t clog your pores but will help the skin be hydrated and soothed. Here are some good choices to check out for future use that won’t clog pores, will calm skin and moisturize. The Dr G Soothing Cream is fantastic for all skin types even sensitive and acne prone. Gel texture that calms, reinforce the skin barrier, and hydrates well. I’ve used Tretinoin in the past and know how irritating it can be at first. Take your time and go slow.
SoonJung Hydro Barrier Cream

ETUDE
SoonJung Hydro Barrier Cream

star rating

(95)

favorite

SoonJung 2x Barrier Intensive Cream

ETUDE
SoonJung 2x Barrier Intensive Cream

star rating

(301)

favorite

Centella Unscented Recovery Cream

PURITO
Centella Unscented Recovery Cream

star rating

(174)

favorite

Red Blemish Clear Soothing Cream

DR.G
Red Blemish Clear Soothing Cream

star rating

(987)

favorite

upvote

comment

Skinholygrail user profile picture
super picky user badge

Skinholygrail

Dry/Sensitive

Well I have dry skin and I'm a past acne sufferer on retinoids and I wouldn't be able to survive without my thick creams. I'm not sure why you were told they clogg pores cause they don't. The trigger for your acne is a very individual thing and isn't based on thickness of your moisturiser
upvote

comment

KataSalata user profile picture

KataSalata

Dry/Sensitive

I have mentioned a few stuff that have broken me out in the past, so it was basically just a common denominatior between them. It was a recommendation until we see how the therapy is working etc Do you have anything to recommend?
upvote

comment

Karamell user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Karamell

Dry/Sensitive

I have really dry skin, have never had medication for my eczema for my flaky skin but my skin is also really sensitive. Panthenol works well for me, alongside collagen, ceramides and centella
Calming Serum Green Tea + Panthenol

BEAUTY OF JOSEON
Calming Serum Green Tea + Panthenol

star rating

(267)

favorite

Centella Asiatica Serum

Mary&May
Centella Asiatica Serum

star rating

(26)

favorite

Beta Panthenol Repair Cream

Some By Mi
Beta Panthenol Repair Cream

star rating

(143)

favorite

Moringa Ceramide Collagen Enriched Moisturizer

Heimish
Moringa Ceramide Collagen Enriched Moisturizer

star rating

(102)

favorite

upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Nature Republic | Honey Melting Lip event

Picky x Nature Republic | Honey Melting Lip

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 10th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!