picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Hair & Body Care Help

AvaKim user profile picture

AvaKim

Oily/Sensitive

dot101 Views

How to care for frizzy curly/wavy hairs ?

I have thick hairs ( touchwood ) that r wavy curly nd really dry and frizzy. M not willing to get keratin or any other treatments coz I've heard that these treatments cause hairfall. So pls suggest me the products and the order of application too. Side not - the place I live hav hard water nd I never do any heat styling. Also tell me what damage will I suffer if I end up getting keratin or any other treatment.
upvote

comment

9 Comments

JennB user profile picture
picky squad user badge

JennB

Dry/Resilient

How to Control Frizzy Curly/ Wavy Hair Naturally: Moisture and oils are ideal for smoothing and closing the cuticle. Of course, not all curl patterns handle oils the same way, but there are a range of options that offer effective solutions whether your hair is wavy and fine or thick and coarse. Either way, start with moisture and work your way up from there. 1. Focus on moisture. The one thing that frizzy hair needs most is moisture. Kick off the process in the shower with a hydrating, frizzy hair shampoo and conditioner like the Monoi Repairing Sulfate Free Shampoo and Monoi Repairing Conditioner. Detangle thoroughly and add the Almond Milk Leave-In Conditioner for extra moisture. ( by Carol's Daughter) 2. Next you want to lock in your moisture. Follow the LOC method, using a leave-in, followed by an oil, and lastly a cream to boost moisture. 3. Avoid brushing. Brushing hair isn’t always bad but can worsen frizz. Depending on the brush you use, it could cause unnecessary friction against strands and raise the cuticle. If done too roughly, it could also break the cuticle. It’s important to brush curly hair correctly. Stick with a natural bristle brush and avoid using it on wet hair, which tends to be more fragile. 4. Detangle carefully. Hair that hasn’t been properly detangled can not only lead to breakage, but it can also interfere with the direction of your hair cuticle. When you’re detangling, use a wide-tooth comb and work your way through knots starting at the bottom of each section and working up to the root. 5. Cover hair at night. As mentioned, lots of damage can occur while you sleep. Friction from rolling around on cotton sheets and pillowcases can cause breakage and suck moisture out of your hair, which is another frizz inducer. It doesn’t matter if you do a few twists and wear a bonnet or if you pull your hair up and wrap a silk scarf around it; make sure you don’t sleep on curly hair that’s been left loose at night. 6. Utilize oils. Oils are a great way to not only impart moisture into frizz-prone hair but also seal it in. Pick an oil, that can actually penetrate into your hair. Top it off with a heavier one like castor oil to help smooth any fraying edges. 7. Use a silk or satin pillowcase. Silk and satin pillowcases are smoother and generate less friction compared to cotton pillowcases, which have a rougher texture. This quality is great for when you want to tame frizz, because friction alone can contribute to frizz. Silk and satin pillowcases also absorb less moisture than cotton does. 8. Dry hair with a microfiber towel. Your towel and towel technique can make a difference in frizz reduction. To tame frizzy hair and set your strands up for success, swap out your terry cloth towel for a microfiber one, which can absorb a lot of moisture while being gentle on hair. You can even use an old cotton teashirt. When using a microfiber towel, first squeeze out excess water from your hair, then delicately press the towel against your strands. 9. Use anti-frizz styling products. 10. Trim split ends regularly. Split ends can contribute to the rough, frizzy look. Snipping them off every six weeks will keep your hair looking fuller and prevent the frayed ends from splitting further up the hair shaft. You can do this by going to the salon or by DIY. If you choose the latter, work in sections and use hair shears, which are sharper than regular scissors and won’t pull or tug at your hair. 11. Practice sun safety with your hair. Excessive sun exposure can lead to dry, damaged, frizzy hair. On sunny days when you know you’ll be outside for long periods, wear a hat or cover your hair in a scarf to protect your strands from UV damage and stop frizzy hair. 12. Adapt your routine to the season. In the fall and winter, add frizz-fighting hair care products to combat the effects of the drier air, and during the most humid times of the year, use anti-humidity products to prevent excess moisture from puffing up your tresses. 13. Enlist the help of hair tools and accessories. If you’re going to heat style, certain tools are better than others. An ionic dryer is ideal for curls and coils because it generates negative ions which neutralize hair’s positive charges. This process seals the cuticle, which reduces frizz and smooths out hair. Frizz-prone hair also does better with ceramic irons and barrels. The ceramic surface distributes heat evenly as it glides through hair, allowing you to achieve smooth results efficiently. Because heat styling can dry out and damage hair, don’t forget to use a heat protectant before blow drying, straightening or curling your hair.
upvote

comment

mirmi user profile picture

mirmi

Dry/Sensitive

Wow great read
upvote

comment

merllamicorn user profile picture
super picky user badge

merllamicorn

Oily/Resilient

One line of products that I love to use for hair that has to use hard water is L'Oreal Professional Metal Detox shampoo and mask - they're fantastic!!! (There are a few other products in the line that you might also want to look into, such as the ones I tagged.)
Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Shampoo

L'Oreal Professionnel
Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Shampoo

star rating

(7)

favorite

Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Mask

L'Oreal Professionnel
Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Mask

star rating

(8)

favorite

Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Pre-Treatment

L'Oreal Professionnel
Serie Expert Metal Detox Professional Pre-Treatment

star rating

(1)

favorite

Metal Detox Concentrated Oil Anti-Deposit Protector

L'Oreal Professionnel
Metal Detox Concentrated Oil Anti-Deposit Protector

star rating

(20)

favorite

upvote

comment

merllamicorn user profile picture
super picky user badge

merllamicorn

Oily/Resilient

I won't be much help with the rest... our hair types are too different. Sorry!!!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Primera | Soft Peeling to Foam Cleanser event

Picky x Primera | Soft Peeling to Foam Cleanser

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 17th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!