picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus βž•

Brand Talk

Alexandra3 user profile picture

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

dot1,911 Views

NIVEA SCANDAL ✨

Hey picky squad, hope y’all doing great πŸ’• Have you heard about the scandal regarding the Nivea Kids Protect & Care Sunscreen spf 50+ ? It failed protection tests conducted by a respected, independent third party testing lab and the brand response to the whole situation was shady to say at least πŸ˜ͺ A lot of people, especially here in Europe, reach for Nivea products since they are generally nicely formulated and very affordable. After the failed independent tests, Nivea released a statement and they said they don’t recognise the independent testing and their own supposed tests did well (but were NOT released to the public 😳) They showed a lot of disrespect for the consumers since people have reached out for refunds but Nivea has declined saying that ,,what they sold is what was delivered to the consumer”. 😬
upvote

comment

109 Comments

lusitania user profile picture

lusitania

Oily/Resilient

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for sunscreens to fail their independent testing these days, so I can understand that part, but their response sounds completely unacceptable. Transparency around sunscreen is so important nowadays. I hope they back up their claims with real info soon!
upvote

comment

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

Yup transparency is key ✨
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

They will probably cover this up soon with a release of some bio organic reef safe baby seal hugging greenwashing line with spf100 and all will be forgotten πŸ˜…
upvote

comment

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

🀣 🀣 very possible
upvote

comment

AmeeJay user profile picture

AmeeJay

Dry/Resilient

Wow. Nivea's professionalism is πŸ‘ŒπŸ» It's sad because Nivea is a brand that is available in a lot of drugstores and to some that brand is what they could afford. I really can't support a brand that won't admit their mistakes πŸ˜“
upvote

comment

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

Me too πŸ˜ͺ
upvote

comment

Betweendots user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

I've heard about it, but also Garnier failed this test and we have to mention - the products that failed were two sunscreens for kids. You can find more about this issue on which.co.uk I checked the website and it's like a consumer association, the thing is that they didn't mention the lab - while Purito tests were made in Poland and Germany, they tested in one lab from what I figured out so I would suspect that they might not get fully accurate information. And yes, they say they are independent, but it's not like you can base all informations on one research - lots of labs right now have long queue since Kbeauty (and not only Kbeauty) brands started to test their sunscreens in few labs instead of using just one lab. So I would be neutral if it comes to this. We also don't know if this is an issue only for UK or EU and other countries too since ingredients can be different for each country.
upvote

comment

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

you’re so right!! there is still a lot of info we dont know thanks for telling me all this !!
upvote

comment

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

Oh my! πŸ˜” Nivea is a well known drugstore brand, practically worldwide πŸ—ΊοΈ They really should have given a better response. I hope they have a better service recovery, moving forward. I'm following you on IG. I'd appreciate if you followed me too πŸ’• @blueskies8whiteclouds
upvote

comment

Alexandra3

Dry/Sensitive

Of course πŸ’•
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!