picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

lusitania user profile picture

lusitania

Oily/Resilient

dot251 Views

Palm oil & the environment

I know many of you are trying to be more eco-conscious, so I thought I would share this article about palm oil. It's a popular ingredient in everything from food to cosmetics to skincare, but growing and harvesting it is awful for the environment: "Palm oil has made a huge impact on the tropical forests its taken from. Many of these forests have been cleared to make room for oil palm tree plantations, devastating the habitats of certain endangered animals, like the orangutan and the Sumatran Elephant. This is especially prevalent in Southeast Asia, where more plantations equals more deforestation. "Aside from destroying the homes of these animals, the production of palm oil releases tons of greenhouse gases that are incredibly harmful to the environment. According to a 2018 study published in the journal Nature Communications, the amount of carbon released when just one hectare of forest is cleared to grow oil palm trees is almost equal to the amount of carbon produced by 530 people flying from Geneva, Switzerland, to New York. "Palm oil production even threatens water and soil quality. According to Stanford University, the clearing of land and plantation management can release sediment and other harmful substances into streams." You can read more here: https://brightly.eco/is-palm-oil-bad-for-the-environment/
upvote

comment

17 Comments

Pickytimin user profile picture

Pickytimin

Oily/Sensitive

thank you for sharing
upvote

comment

L

Lawingcokat

Oily/Resilient

Thank you for sharing this info
upvote

comment

Lianne Mondego user profile picture

Lianne Mondego

Oily/Sensitive

Thanks for sharing this kind of information!💖
upvote

comment

Bonitaa user profile picture

Bonitaa

Oily/Resilient

thank you for sharing! 💓
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!