picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Product Info

Hebskin user profile picture

Hebskin

Oily/Sensitive

dot280 Views

Hyaluronic acid confusion..

I keep seeing hyaluronic acid being promoted as a wonder cure for hydration - which I totally believe as ive benefitted from adding it to my routine. But I also keep seeing that it can do more damage than good ‘if used wrongly’ - can anybody explain how you can use it incorrectly?? I have creams containing some, a hyaluronic mist spray etc. I’m not sure how it can be used in the wrong way..? Anyone able to shed some light for me please 🙌🏼🧡
upvote

comment

17 Comments

menuruthsaya user profile picture

menuruthsaya

Dry/Resilient

hi, HA, just like other humectants, is recommended to be used on damp/slightly wet skin, so it could have easier time to do its job. they work by pulling water and holding it, but if you applied HA on dry skin, it would kinda 'suck the water from your skin'. this sometimes leaves you a drier skin than before. I, even though I'm a HA fan, doesn't recommend using too much product with HA as its star ingredient in one routine. anything too much is not good, right😉
upvote

comment

Hebskin user profile picture

Hebskin

Oily/Sensitive

that’s brilliant, thanks so much for educating 🤩🙌🏼
upvote

comment

leviance user profile picture

leviance

Dry/Resilient

Derm recommends us using it on damp skin!
upvote

comment

Finchy user profile picture

Finchy

Dry/Sensitive

I was a victim of incorrect use! My skin is very dry and I live in a desert climate. HA is probably the most hyped up, regularly recommended hydrating ingredient out there, but like others have already stated, needs moisture to work. So initially, because there was no moisture in the air where I live and because I was waiting 5-10 minutes between skincare steps, thus applying HA products to dry skin, it was actually probably pulling what little moisture was in my skin out and drying it out more. I was so confused! But once I understood how it functions, I purchase a humidifier and only used my products containing HA at night, also applying them to damp skin. The same products that I thought were making my skin worse were now helping it get better just by adding that moisture for them to work with.
upvote

comment

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

It's important to apply HA on damp skin. Remember to follow up with hydrating products or seal in your routine with a moisturizer. Otherwise, it'll suck the moisture out of your skin instead! I'd appreciate if you followed me on IG. I'll follow you back 💕 @blueskies8whiteclouds
upvote

comment

perckyC user profile picture

perckyC

Oily/Sensitive

Thanks for starting this discussion it was very informative! I didn't know there could be a bad way of using Ha 🙏🏼
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!