picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

sheglowsandblooms user profile picture

sheglowsandblooms

Oily/Sensitive

dot208 Views

retinol advice for skincare newbie!!

As someone who is in her early 20s, premature skin aging is quite my concern already, and I've assessed that I need to consider it in my regime. So far, I am noticing fine lines under my eyes are being formed, and enlarged pores (I suspect that it is an effect of long term exposure to pollution.) Retinol has quite piqued my interest, yet, I really just want to be educated about it considering I am just a skincare newbie. I want to know what are the Dos and Don'ts I should consider, the type of Retinol better used for a certain skin condition, or any advice when starting retinol, and the expected effects for it's long term use. Thank you! :)
upvote

comment

8 Comments

Kael user profile picture

Kael

Oily/Resilient

First, consider the strength, start with something low. Do not always jump to a higher percentage as it is sensitizing to the skin. Choose products with a low content of retinol and start with alternating days first until your face can tolerate the potency of retinol. Use it either the last step of your routine at night, or you can do also the sandwich method: moisturizer, retinol, moisturizer. • Use occlusive moisturizer as it impedes the strength of retinol which means less irritation. Always wear sunscreen, regardless of incorporating retinol or not, always wear sunscreen because it is the best protection you got against aging skin.
upvote

comment

sheglowsandblooms user profile picture

sheglowsandblooms

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you! Would like to ask if you have any idea does the irritation or "purging" phase last? Because my skin isn't really resilient when it comes to healing from a purge/breakout, like I easily get really stubborn PIH and PIE, even in the most smallest pimple.
upvote

comment

dskinn user profile picture

dskinn

Oily/Sensitive

Also wanted to start using retinol. Is it recommended to use everyday or is it like an exfo toner that should be use 2-3x a week only?
upvote

comment

Fuyuka user profile picture

Fuyuka

Oily/Sensitive

If you are new try once a week or 2-3 times a week to see how your skin reacts, remember to start slow and from the low percentage first
upvote

comment

Niacinaemide user profile picture

Niacinaemide

Dry/Resilient

use sandwich moisturizers method so you wont get purging
upvote

comment

N

Nasreen

Dry/Sensitive

Thanks for this, im new to skincare aswell
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!