picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Ingredients

Siscaaryf user profile picture

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

dot549 Views

Is it safe for me to use 1% retinol as a beginner?

Hi, I'm 25 and I feel like I need to use retinol. However, I'm worried since I never use any retinol. But yesterday, I bought 1% retinol. Please tell me what should I do for using retinol as a beginner. Thank you
upvote

comment

23 Comments

jinnaee user profile picture

jinnaee

Dry/Resilient

Hi, I think 1% is quite high especially for a beginner, so I would recommend starting with a lower percentage of 0.2% then working your way up to 0.5%. The sandwhich method is also great to protect your skin from irritation:)
upvote

comment

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

Thank you, I really dont know when I bought 1% is quite high as a beginner. What if Im still trying ti use it, is there would be any side effects ?
upvote

comment

Cedric user profile picture

Cedric

Oily/Resilient

1% is a lot for a beginner. you can try to minimise irritation by using the sandwich method. you apply moisturiser then retinol then moisturiser again!
upvote

comment

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

Thank you for the tips! I will try to patch test to my neck first and try sandwich method.
upvote

comment

bymj user profile picture

bymj

Dry/Sensitive

Hi!! Honestly if i were you i wouldnt even think on retinol. If you focus on be consistent using sunscreen and a good moisturizer believe me, you wont need retinol in a very long time 😉
upvote

comment

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

Hi, actually I dont know how retinol gonna works for my skin. Im curious because some of influencers said retinol works good for them. I dont have any big concern as my skin is normal. Should I just go back to normal routine and not trying to use much ingredients that I dont even know well? thanks
upvote

comment

Fuyuka user profile picture

Fuyuka

Oily/Sensitive

Aside from using sandwich technique to minimalize potential irritation, you could as well opt for retinyl esters (e.g retinyl palmitate) or the weakest forms and slowest ones in showing the result but arguably safer for beginner. I myself have just begun to use retinol 2-3 months ago and chose retinyl palmitate as the option as I personally still quite scared of using retinol, in case I haven't work well on hydrating and protecting aspects, as I also just began to build a solid basic skincare which works best on me. I did patch test and work slowly from once a week to 2-3 times until finally now I can use it every day even though it is said the weakest form, and fortunately my skin reacted well since the day one. I'm also happy to share that the results are great, I have notice many recognisable improvements since incorporating them (toner and moisturizer) into my routine.
upvote

comment

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

Thank you so much, this really enlightened and help me a lot!
upvote

comment

S

Skinbeautilicious

Oily/Resilient

Hii U can always start with lower percentage like 0.1 or 0.2 which are available is the ordinary brand and try starting with bakuchiol and ladder to other retinol based products. Majority faced purging period including me. So Try to keep sufficient gap between the retinol usage like initially once a week, then once in 5 days like that.. If u start getting purging, then stop all actives and retinol and follow only basic more hydrating cleanser mositiriser and sunscreen.. .. While using retinol u can even goto sandwiching method for ex slather sufficient rich moisturiser and then a bit of retinol and the moisturiser. While using retinol stay away from other actives.. And sunscreen is must..
upvote

comment

Siscaaryf

Dry/Resilient

Thank you so much, many people saying to use sandwich method. I might be in so much doubts to use retinol if I didnt know it from you and anyone here about sandwhich methid. I will surely follow the tips!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!