picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

alphahydRoxy user profile picture

alphahydRoxy

Dry/Resilient

dot140 Views

Skin got worse since starting skin care – What to do?

Tl;dr My skin has gotten so much worse since I started doing skin care (see comparison pics below). Should I go back to the basics (cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen)? Am I putting my skin through too much? Or should I even stop my skin care altogether until I've seen a dermatologist? I started diving into the world of skin care last winter around November/December. It started out being quite fun but now, looking at “old” pictures of myself, I could just puke whenever I stare at my currently acne-plagued face in the mirror. It has become so bad that even my parents or a few of my friends make comments on my skin or try to give bad advice like “you should try taking supplements” or “go out into the sun more often to dry out your pimples”. My first appointment at a dermatologist is booked for next month in September (which is my last hope tbh), however, I still want to try and improve the appearance of my skin in the best way possible – which is also why I began cutting dairy out of my diet a week ago… But I’m still not satisfied with my efforts. Which all leads me to the questions I already mentioned above. (See my profile for my AM and PM routine plans.) I'd love to get any advice from you guys! 🥺 I really don't know what to do anymore. 😭 Thanks for reading. ❤️
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

3 Comments

amg3268 user profile picture

amg3268

Oily/Sensitive

Have you incorporated a retinoid or BHA into your routine lately? This would likely cause you to purge but it shouldn’t last 6 months. I would definitely go back to the basics until you see your Derm. My skin got way worse this year as well due to having to wear masks (this could be a major factor too if you have to wear one daily) but over the counter Differin gel saved my skin. I went to the derm as well and that’s what she advised me to use for a few months :)
upvote

comment

alphahydRoxy

Dry/Resilient

Yes, I have, I use the SA Smoothing Cleanser by CeraVe 2x a week and also let it sit on the face first before washing it off. A few months ago, I had used another cleanser containing BHA every day without letting my skin get used to it which didn't lead to any purging but dry and flaky skin instead. I didn't know I was over-exfoliating. 🤦‍♀️ I agree, wearing masks is making it even worse, though I only have to wear one for an hour 6 times a week when getting the groceries. 🤷‍♀️ Thanks for your reply, I'll ask the derm whether incorporating differin is an option for me or not. 🥺❤️
SA Smoothing Cleanser

CeraVe
SA Smoothing Cleanser

star rating

(619)

favorite

upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

Hey, sorry you're going through it. Surprisingly sometimes less is more when it comes to skincare. I had a look at your routines. Is there a reason why you use 2 moisturisers and a sunscreen? Also cerave moisturiser has petrolatum which can block pores. I have personally used cerave SA cleanser and I think it's amazing but not sure how effective being used 2x a week. Do you let it sit on your skin for a bit before you wash it off? I would suggest to take it down a notch and do fewer steps for a few weeks. Cleanse and moisturise/spf. Second thing would be to replace some of the products, but only one at a time. It takes time to determine what works for your skin (even if a product has glowing reviews). Oh and also, ampoule should probably go before the serum as I know that one is very runny.
upvote

comment

alphahydRoxy

Dry/Resilient

Well, yes, there is a reason for this. I only use the Neutrogena moisturizer as an eye cream since I'm prone to milia. If I'd use the CeraVe moisturizing cream around my eyes I would get these because it contains petroleum jelly. Concerning petrolatum, I thought it being comedogenic is a myth? I have dry skin so I thought it won't hurt to try out another moisturizer because the one by Neutrogena is very gel like and not as rich as CeraVe's. That's also why I use moisturizer + sunscreen in the morning. Though I might as well try and use my sunscreen as the only moisturizer in the AM. I do leave the CeraVe SA cleanser on my face for a minute after messaging it in for a bit. I'm still kinda scared to increase usage because I had dried out my skin and over-exfoliated with another cleanser containing BHA (using it daily was way too much). I don't want this to happen again. 🤦‍♀️ Thanks for the reply, I think I'll follow your advice 🥺❤️
upvote

comment

avecbelle user profile picture

avecbelle

Oily/Resilient

perhaps you should let your skin rest for a bit and do a patch test when trying out new products
upvote

comment

alphahydRoxy

Dry/Resilient

I do patch test – but letting my skin rest is something I'm going to start doing now. ☺️ Thanks for your reply 🥰
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!