picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Product Info

K

Kzi

Dry/Resilient

dot228 Views

Essence

Is it true that an essence is just another name for hydrating toner? So technically, it is a toner? Please enlighten me about this. Thank you.
upvote

comment

13 Comments

ameliaoktarija user profile picture

ameliaoktarija

Oily/Sensitive

No, essence isnt toner. Essence is basically a serum in a more liquid form. Because of the similar content, the function of essence is similar to serum. essence is relatively gentle with a lighter effect on the skin..💕💓
upvote

comment

K

Kzi

Dry/Resilient

I see. I found an explanation from youtube saying that essence is similar to hydrating toner. I got confused for a moment
upvote

comment

HeyIamDito user profile picture

HeyIamDito

Oily/Resilient

beauty industry is so sick, actually. the term of essence, ampoule, serum, toner are just a marketing. they are basically the same, to hydrate and moisturize our skin. you only need cleanser, moisturizer, and spf. but, talking about essence, it is borderline between toner and serum. it is like a serum that has liquid form, or in another word is a toner that contains active ingredients (more concentrated). it's a bit confusing right? that's how beauty industry works.
upvote

comment

zoemona user profile picture

zoemona

Dry/Resilient

I completely agree but I heard somewhere that the longer your routine is the better the ingredients work together for your skin which is why there’s a lot of different parts of a routine
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

It's just another marketing term, same like toner - doesn't really mean anything. Best to select products by their ingredients and then layer them thin to thick. But neither essences nor toners are a must in a skincare routine.
upvote

comment

syahnidaareo user profile picture

syahnidaareo

Dry/Sensitive

essence is not another name for hydrating toner. this is very different. From the texture and consistency, you can see the difference. Hydrating toner is more liquid than essence. the texture of the essence resembles a serum but not as thick as a serum of course.
upvote

comment

K

Kzi

Dry/Resilient

I noticed this also. It is much thicker compared to the usual toner
upvote

comment

theartofskincarett user profile picture

theartofskincarett

Dry/Sensitive

check my post… https://www.instagram.com/p/CN4s9zoHU25/?utm_medium=copy_link it should help answer all your questions
upvote

comment

K

Kzi

Dry/Resilient

Thanks for sharing. Will check your post
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!