picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Product Info

skincarenectarine user profile picture

skincarenectarine

Oily/Resilient

dot208 Views

Difference between ESSENCE and TONER?

hello all! i was wondering what the difference between and essence and toner was? i’ve heard them used interchangeably, and was wondering whether there was a difference at all. for example, the i’m from rice TONER and i’m from mugwort ESSENCE. what makes them have different names? thanks :)
Rice Toner

I'M FROM
Rice Toner

star rating

(864)

favorite

Mugwort Essence

I'M FROM
Mugwort Essence

star rating

(465)

favorite

upvote

comment

13 Comments

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

Consistency and approach to marketing. Essence tends to be a bit more heavy than toner. Otherwise it just comes down to the ingredients and their benefits to your skin. Neither essences nor toners are essential, you just use them if there are particular ones that bring benefits to your skincare routine and help you to achieve your goals.
upvote

comment

skincarenectarine user profile picture

skincarenectarine

Oily/Resilient

alright, thank you! ❤️
upvote

comment

jojobeauty16 user profile picture

jojobeauty16

Oily/Resilient

so typically a toner is used straight after cleanser to make sure the skin is completely clean and free from all oil, dirt debris etc. it can also have some great ingredients which really do work for the skin, like Salicylic acid etc. an essense is thicker than a toner but thinner than a serum. it is a power house packed full of great ingredients at higher levels. it will sink into the skin quickly and easily and will usually give an extra layer of hydration too. an essence is also a great thing to use as your step before a hyaluronic acid serum, as your skin needs to be damp when apply HA. this isn't a set hard and fast rule when it comes to the differences between toners and essences but it is around 95 percent of the time. xxxx😍😘
upvote

comment

theartofskincarett user profile picture

theartofskincarett

Dry/Sensitive

upvote

comment

Cecileetobelix user profile picture

Cecileetobelix

Dry/Resilient

followed you plz follow my IG back on cecileetobelix. this is a great post!!! so informative
upvote

comment

Cecileetobelix user profile picture

Cecileetobelix

Dry/Resilient

Toner is a basic product (everyone will tell you it is non essential) and Essence is a extra bonus step in your skincare as most brand focus on one or couple specific ingredients i love the idea of using an essence as a powerhouse booster especially if you need or want more hydration or more calming/soothing properties at a specific moment in your skincare. i use it when i have my period and my hormones go all crazy and “pimply”
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!