picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus βž•

Routine Help

PinkRust user profile picture

PinkRust

Oily/Resilient

dot142 Views

Moisturizer as buffer for AHA?

Hi Pickies! πŸ–€ I've been wondering if I could use a lightweight, gel type, moisturizer BEFORE a potent, leave-on AHA/BHA. I know you can do it with retinoids to reduce potential irritation and the latter will still be effective. I'm not sure if the acids will keep their effectiveness though. What are you thoughts? Did you try buffering a leave-on acid product? If so, was the acid still working as it should? Thank you in advance for any insight in the matter πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ P.S. I would put a more occlusive moisturizer on top of everything to seal them in.
upvote

comment

14 Comments

JelenaaJekkii user profile picture

JelenaaJekkii

Oily/Sensitive

Ok, I'm not a professional so this is just my opinion from a few things I've read. I could potentially be way wrong lol Ahas work best closest to skin, some people recommend chemical exfoliants before toner while others after. If you're putting something thicker than your chemical exfoliant before it might not penetrate the skin. This is where I would follow thinnest to thickest product order. If this product is too much for you maybe try a lower percentage? Not sure how helpful that was πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•
upvote

comment

PinkRust

Oily/Resilient

That's very helpful, thank you! πŸ’œ
upvote

comment

jojobeauty16 user profile picture

jojobeauty16

Oily/Resilient

i dont recommend doing this. acids work best when put straight onto skin, either after cleansing or toning. you can do either so if you're wanting to buffer slightly then put your acids on after a toner, otherwise straight after cleansing. putting a moisturizer on will completely block any acids from getting to the skin, so really all you will be doing is wasting product. if its something that you are worried about that they will be too harsh etc, start on the lowest percentage you can find, and also maybe only put on 2 to 3 times a week to start off with and see how your skin reacts. as with all skincare everyone's skin will react differently so its all about trial and error. xxx hope this helps xxxπŸ₯°πŸ₯°
upvote

comment

PinkRust

Oily/Resilient

Thank you for all the information! It's really useful πŸ’œ
upvote

comment

SiAnastasia user profile picture

SiAnastasia

Oily/Sensitive

I ve tried to use moisturizers before AHA/BHA, but I couldn't see really good results. It seemed like a waist of product. That is why I usually use acids after cleanser and close it with hydrating toner and moisturizer to prevent irritation.
upvote

comment

PinkRust

Oily/Resilient

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know πŸ’œ
upvote

comment

NiaRey user profile picture

NiaRey

Dry/Sensitive

πŸ€” I don’t think the acids would be effective? I think you would be better off applying/ layering calming and hydrating products afterwards.
upvote

comment

PinkRust

Oily/Resilient

That's what others are saying as well, thank you πŸ’œ
upvote

comment

Imperfectskin user profile picture

Imperfectskin

Oily/Resilient

I don't really think the chemical exfoliant works that way! It should be yse after you cleanser to really exfoliate your skin. I suggest use mild chemical exfoliant if you feel your skin is being irritated by strong acidd, or use PHA it is much gentler than AHAs bec. of its big molecular size. hope it helps!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!