picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

Kermakahvi user profile picture

Kermakahvi

Dry/Resilient

dot118 Views

Benzoyl peroxide trivia

So, I decided to give benzoyl peroxide gel 5% a chance, but I'm not sure how should I start using it. I'm going to list down some questions and if you got some experience or knowledge, you are welcome to share them :) × should I start by leaving it for few hours or straight up overnight? × I got daily purifying BHA toner which I use everyday after cleansing, should I use it with benzoyl peroxide or is it too much? × what else can I use with benzoyl peroxide? can I use like niacinamide or hyaluronic acid? × what about when exfoliating my skin, should I use benzoyl peroxide after that? Man, this thing feels like it's some radioactive type of crap and I'm afraid to add it in my routine, but I bought it so i want to try it out and see if it helps w/ my acne.
upvote

comment

8 Comments

theartofskincarett user profile picture

theartofskincarett

Dry/Sensitive

If you’re a beginner, you should start with a wash off cleanser BPO product Don’t use BPO n BHA…irritation potential high!!! Yes Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid and Ceramides are safe to maintain barrier while using BPO I wouldn’t use BPO after exfoliating in a beginner
upvote

comment

Kermakahvi

Dry/Resilient

but you suggest that when my skin starts to tolerate benzoyl peroxide well, i can use it even after exfoliating? thanks for the help though!
upvote

comment

MieraSyaf user profile picture

MieraSyaf

Oily/Sensitive

i tried benzac 5% from galderma, it burn my skin 😂 i guess it just wasn’t for me. my tips maybe you should use them only a bit, don’t put too much. other than that, pls don’t leave it overnight , bcs it can bleach your pillow/shirts. Lastly, I don’t think so it is good to exfoliate and using benzac at the same time so make it into different routine. Other than that u are good to go.
upvote

comment

Kermakahvi

Dry/Resilient

So gotta start evening routine few hours in advance and then wash it off, got it :-P Thanks for the tips
upvote

comment

SilverSliver user profile picture

SilverSliver

Dry/Sensitive

So Benzoyl Peroxide 5% gel is actually what cleared up majority of my acne and honestly I’m extremely thankful for that. Please don’t be afraid to use it - you just need to do some prior research before diving into using the product. With that being said, here are my answers to your questions: 1) Seeing that you have resilient skin, start by dabbing the gel on areas with acne and leave it overnight. I started it overnight and experienced no irritation 2) Don’t use AHA/BHA products while using benzoyl peroxide. Instead, use the gel for a few weeks to months until you’re happy with the results and wait around two weeks to start using the AHA/BHA products again 3) Niacinamide and HA are both safe to use with Benzoyl Peroxide 4) Please do not exfoliate your skin while using Benzoyl Peroxide. As this gel might dry out your skin, focus on using simple barrier products with it 5) DO NOT forget SPF daily :) Lastly, as I mentioned before, don’t be afraid to use this. It’s definitely not dangerous and actually one of the most studied ingredients for acne. It’s stable and it works so go for it! Hope this helped💕
upvote

comment

Kermakahvi

Dry/Resilient

this, so far is the most helpful answer along with other information provided, thank you! with your encouragement i might as well start using it on Monday, a fresh week for a fresh skin 😎
upvote

comment

Kermakahvi

Dry/Resilient

god dammit people i dont need upvotes for this discussion, i need answers!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!