picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Routine Help

Hinarushi user profile picture

Hinarushi

Dry/Sensitive

dot102 Views

Effective "fungal acne" routine?

Hiya! I am trying to build an effective routine that doesn't trigger my Malassezia/Pityrosporum condition (known as "fungal acne"). Some fast facts about Malassezia: It is an yeast that is naturally present on the surface of our skin. It visually resembles small "pimples" of around same size which also become itchy. Malassezia feeds upon fatty acids, esters and lipids (basically all that goodness of cocoa and shea butter, rosehip oil etc). Glycerin is another ingredient which seems to make Malassezia thrive. Men are more prone to suffer from it than women. I checked a Malassezia focused website, sezia.co and some of their recommended products still contain one or more guilty ingredients for Malassezia overgrowth. Till now I've tried Nizoral shampoo on my problematic skin areas without much success. I've also used Hibiscrub which contains clorhexidine gluconate. I believe it was a foolish decision and I do not recommend prolonged usage as it kills both good and bad bacteria from your skin. I'm also considering trying squalane oil and MCT oil for moisturizing my skin from now on. What about you? Do you suffer from Malassezia? What are your go-to products to keep it under control?
upvote

comment

1 Comment

Kaiiixx user profile picture

Kaiiixx

Oily/Resilient

used to. I use exfoliant plus clay mask to treat it. it took me ard 2 weeks to recover back to normal skin 😀
upvote

comment

Kaiiixx user profile picture

Kaiiixx

Oily/Resilient

for me it works since it helps to reduce sebum production 😄
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!