picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Opinion

M

marzmoo

Oily/Resilient

dot69 Views

Do SA cleansers really work?

Hi friends! I've been meaning to ask some opinions on this. A while back, I started using The Inkey List Salicylic Acid Cleanser as a step in my exfoliation routine. It has 2% salicylic acid, tolerated well on my skin (not so sure if there has been any significant changes tho, I don't pay too much attention to my skin most of the time lol), pretty affordable and accessible for me, and is a product that has been recommended by many. However, I have heard some contrasting opinions on the efficacy of salicylic acid in cleansers. Some say that having the product on your skin for at least 20 seconds is enough for the salicylic acid to work itself onto the skin, while others say that because it is a cleanser, essentially you'd be washing away the product and not allowing more time for the salicylic acid to penetrate the skin. The latter would recommend using leave on products instead (e.g. toners, serums, etc) I'm the kind of person who likes a somewhat minimal routine and feel as if I apply too many products on my skin/have too steps AFTER cleansing, that by the time I reach the last step in the routine, the final product would not be able to penetrate my skin. Also because too many steps is just tedious and complicating for me lol. Just to give you an idea, this is what my exfoliation routine looks like: SA cleanser > mandelic acid toner > serum* > moisturiser > 2 facial oils (* to be added into the routine) So, my question, do salicylic acid cleansers really work to exfoliate the skin or should I just switch to a leave on product with salicylic acid?
Salicylic Acid Cleanser

The Inkey List
Salicylic Acid Cleanser

star rating

(326)

favorite

upvote

comment

2 Comments

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

I personally love SA cleansers as they are less drying and irritating than leave on products. So I'd say it's a personal choice. They're good at maintaining pores but might not be enough for more stubborn blackheads. Most dermatologists that I follow highly recommend SA cleansers. I do use TO peeling solution to do a bit of a deep clean from time to time but again, I wash it off. Looking at your routine, you are double exfoliating (SA + mandelic) so adding another leave on exfoliant would be too much. I would already wonder if you're not overdoing it 🤔 but it does depend on each individual skin.
upvote

comment

Mikoskincare user profile picture

Mikoskincare

Oily/Resilient

SA cleansers didn't work well for me. For acne, I find benzoyl peroxide cleansers as more effective.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!