picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

N

nrnizzh

Oily/Resilient

dot48 Views

sugar, dairy or product?

Hi, as someone with acne prone skin, i do find it hard to identify the exact reason my pimples appear. Nowadays, it appears a lot around my jawline and cheek area. I do have some on my forehead, and i found that sugar is one of the main reasons for that. I reduce the consumption of sugar but still get acne around the jawline. I list out several possible reasons for it and it may be dairy or product, still not sure about that. I minimized my routine to cleanser, toner, chemical exfoliant, moisturiser and sunscreen. How do you acne prone skin determine the reason for your pimples?
upvote

comment

3 Comments

Nickypicks user profile picture

Nickypicks

Oily/Resilient

Hi hun, beauty advisor here. Acne, as you said correctly, can be caused by a variety of issues. it depends which area it is on. Cheeks usually suggest hormonal and/or dirty pillows. Try washing your pillow case once a week to reduce chances of breaking out. Reducing sugar too will make a big change in stopping acne. If you drop your skincare routine I'm happy to check it out and see if the products suit your skin type :)
upvote

comment

N

nrnizzh

Oily/Resilient

Thanks for the tip 🥰 I usually use a lot of products in my routine but it became too overwhelming as i always get new pimples everyday (maybe bcs of purging) so i decided to cut it down to just the basic double cleanser, chemical exfoliant, hydrating toner, moisturiser & sunscreen. Sometimes i would apply brightening essence only on parts that have pigmentation, not the whole face. Maybe ill try to include other products later one by one to see which one doesnt suit me. But so far im good with the basic as i dont get that much acne as i used to.
upvote

comment

LalaReviews user profile picture

LalaReviews

Oily/Sensitive

I'm definitely seconding the changing your pillow case weekly advice. This has done wonders for the pimples on the side of my face!
upvote

comment

nattyskinfan user profile picture

nattyskinfan

Oily/Sensitive

Hormonal acne is especially common around the jawline — if nothing else is working, it could be worth checking with your doctor and looking into a potential hormone imbalance. In the meantime, like they said above, totally be sure your pillowcases (and anything else that touches your face) are nice and clean! In my experience, since acne can be influenced by so many things, you likely can’t pinpoint an exact cause — which can totally be okay since we know how to treat it! Focusing on treating bacteria, excess sebum/oil, and clogged pores instead of trying to understand the biology of acne-causing factors can seem much more manageable, ya know? So make sure you have acne fighting ingredients in your routing — salicylic acid treatment 2x a week, and maybe add a benzoyl peroxide wash in the morning? — and you should totally see results! Good luck 💕💕
upvote

comment

N

nrnizzh

Oily/Resilient

Yesss i do tend to stress myself a lot on why the acne keep coming & the stress can in turn cause more acne 🥲 Im using wishtrend mandelic acid as im still a beginner in chemical exfoliant & it works great but i do plan on using bha exfoliant as well for the tiny bumps & clogged pores. Would paulas choice bha liquid exfoliant be a good one?
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!