picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

VeronicaSawyer user profile picture

VeronicaSawyer

Dry/Resilient

dot248 Views

Cystic Acne Scarring

Hey guys 🥰, I suffered from some awful skin condition and cystic acne in my teens and early 20's. It was awful and was worst in the centre of both my cheeks 😪. It got so bad I was put on a course of Roaccutane when I was 23 which was tough but I hardly ever get spots anymore and no cysts at all! Unfortunately, a lot of damage was already done to my skin 😔 now I have undeniable scarring in the centre of both my cheeks, rolling scars and hyperpigmentation. This has caused so many self-esteem issues and is what got me so obsessed with skincare 3 years ago 🤩. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar and which products you have found work best for improving the appearance of cystic acne scarring. There has been some improvement in the scarring over the time I've been so obsessed with skincare, but I've used that many different products over the years it would be impossible to pinpoint which products worked the best 🤷‍♀️ Thank you to anybody who has any advice 🙏. PS. I don't have any photos to share yet but I will try and get some put up when I can (It has taken me almost 9 years to get to the point of feeling OK with sharing pictures of my true skin, and around the same to be able to go outside without full coverage foundation on (for a long time I couldn't even take the bins out without a full face of makeup on 💄🤦‍♀️.)) It was very stressful and tiring! Thanks guys, Heather 😘
upvote

comment

16 Comments

Nickypicks user profile picture

Nickypicks

Oily/Resilient

Hi Heather! for conditions like cystic acne, rosacea etc it's best to seek the help of a professional dermatologist. While skincare is essential to keep the skin hydrated and healthy, a dermatologist can help you get the correct products to treat skin conditions. Also I understand you must feel a bit concious about how your skin looks but I'm sure you are beautiful and your skin is going to reflect the glow that is within your heart ❤️❤️❤️
upvote

comment

FrahNjhah user profile picture
picky squad user badge

FrahNjhah

Oily/Resilient

thanks for opening this topic. I also have cystci acne especially during my menstrual time. usually around mu cheek bones. what i do to make it dissapear is used skin1004 ampoule. it works wonder for me, less than 3 weeks the scars are faded. but during the growth, i put benzac ac and acne patch every day alternately.
Madagascar Centella Ampoule

SKIN1004
Madagascar Centella Ampoule

star rating

(3896)

favorite

Acne Patch

Derma Angel
Acne Patch

star rating

(31)

favorite

Benzac Spots Treatment 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

Galderma
Benzac Spots Treatment 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

star rating

(27)

favorite

upvote

comment

Loriehernando user profile picture

Loriehernando

Oily/Resilient

Eyeing for these
upvote

comment

skincrow user profile picture

skincrow

Oily/Sensitive

I was also dealing with horrible cystic acne, because of sertraline (a very rare side effect, but funny enough - although i never suffered from acne as a teen- i got it...). The best thing you can do is microneedeling. It will help guaranteed. Home treatments will fade them, but if you have atrophic scarring there's not a lot you can do. Azelaic acid is one of the best things to try (I'm trying to get my hands on one). Maybe retinoids (tretinoin is the best one, but you can get it only as a prescription). Acid peels are one option but i personally didn't see as much difference as i would hope. ALSO WEAR SUNSCREEN EVERYDAY or it can worsen PIH. Good luck!
upvote

comment

LalaReviews user profile picture

LalaReviews

Oily/Sensitive

I had pretty bad acne too as a teen that left bad scarring. The best I've found is regular use of retinol and regular chemical exfoliation with AHA over a long time. Azelaic acid or Vit C might also help with the hyperpigmentation.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!