picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

dot75 Views

Essential oils in skincare ✅❎

Hi all, I'm new to skincare, I am exploring new products to repair and improve my skin. I often saw in YouTube that essential oils are sensitizing to our skin, and we may face consequences after long term usage. What's your take on it? Do you use it or avoid it?
upvote

comment

7 Comments

chrysant user profile picture

chrysant

Oily/Resilient

never incorporated pure essential oil into my routine, but I found some of the opened skincare products of mine contain eo. I think it's still fine to my acneic skin. essential oil (EO) comes from natural ingredients, even they're naturally derived from plants, doesn't mean they're risk-free, since it's highly concentrated. ex: tamanu is claimed to have anti-inflammatory benefits, but for some people that allergic to nuts, it'll irritate their skin. lemon & citrus fruit can cause sunburns when it exposures to sunlight. so remember to conduct a patch test before using it to reduce the risk of allergic reaction. some people might be able to use it, while others might not. the only way to find it out is to try it by ourselves. or maybe we can discuss any potential negative reactions to a dermatologist before adding it to our routine.
upvote

comment

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

This was informative, thank you! I have used tea tree oil in the past, it did nothing for my skin.
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

I avoid fragrances and essential oils in leave-on products when possible but I don't mind them in wash-off products like cleansers.
upvote

comment

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

Me too, I have used tea tree oil in the past, it didn't help my skin and I do not want to use any ingredient which is potentially damaging for my skin.
upvote

comment

ishiskin user profile picture

ishiskin

Dry/Sensitive

I usually avoid them on my sensitive skin but I have found that the odd and rare products with Eo’s every now and then have actually worked out for me. not the case with all tho (the dear klairs supple prep toner was a nightmare for my skin). It honestly depends on what your skin can tolerate. in general, I would avoid if you are sensitive and find your skin gets easily irriated to fragrances, or if you are acne prone and know that this is a trigger
upvote

comment

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you for the information! I will keep that in mind.
upvote

comment

K

kumlerc

Oily/Resilient

interesting topic. ive never heard of using essential oils
upvote

comment

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

Famous essential oil even I have used is tea tree oil, I didn't find it useful for my acne! I do not understand the hype around it.
upvote

comment

Tapaswini user profile picture

Tapaswini

Dry/Sensitive

completely avoid
upvote

comment

A

Aishu875

Oily/Sensitive

Definitely! I just have a doubt, how do you identify if an ingredient is essential oil? is it like if you have word oil in it you'd recognise it as essential oil?
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!