picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

Holyperna user profile picture

Holyperna

Oily/Sensitive

dot93 Views

Beard shaving and skincare

Hi everyone! I’m a 22 years old guy and I’ve had this problem since puberty started. I shave my beard daily or once every 2 days because I like myself better without facial hair, but everytime it’s a problem to fit the shaving in my skincare routine, for several reasons: 1) I shave after using the cleanser, is it the right way to do it or should I first apply other products (e.g., conditioner, moisturizer, serum…) and then shave? 2) Then, I use my after-shave hydrating and protecting cream. Does it substitute the toner or not? And if yes, should I use it at the end of the routine of immediately after shaving? 3) Some products of my routine (i.e., BHA, Vitamin C serum) give me a burning sensation if I apply them after shaving, while they don’t do it normally. Is it ok or should I quit using them? 4) How can I reduce irritations due to razors? I have the tea tree oil in case, but have doubts about when should I insert it in the routine Thanks to everyone who will read and help me with this, even solving just one of these 4 points would be great! Have a nice day 🙂
carousel
carousel
carousel
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

5 Comments

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

I would suggest to do the shaving first and then cleanse your face because if you cleansed first, your skin will start getting very dry whilst you do the shaving and it will be more likely to get irritated. So shave, cleanse and continue with the normal steps applying thinnest to thickest. I would highly recommend going for a gentle non fragranced shaving gel/foam without alcohol and other common irritants. Toners are not necessary in a routine but if you want one - you need to decide what benefits you want from it as a toner really isn't anything specific. Regarding after-shave cream I'm not convinced they're needed either, it's essentially a moisturiser that's marketed for men. So if you have a moisturiser, this step is kind of redundant. As shaving itself is a physical exfoliation, I would suggest not to use any actives like vitamin c or BHAs in the same routine. If you shave in the evening, use actives in the mornings or do alternating days/nights. Use only calming, hydrating and moisturising products after shaving. Please don't use tea tree oil without diluting it in a carier oil because that can be highly irritating. The best you can do is making sure that you use clean new razors and using gentle products after the shave. Protect your skin barrier, add some ceramides in your routine and you should be fine. Doing less often is more!👌⭐
upvote

comment

Holyperna

Oily/Sensitive

What an amazing and complete answer! Thanks a lot for your advices, really 🙏🏻 I’ll try everything you suggested P.S: I wrote “toner” but I meant “moisturizer”, sorry
upvote

comment

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

1. Yes shave after cleanser before other products (moisturizer etc2) 2. If you feel it works for your beard than go for it, you can use the toner for te rest of your face that you don’t shave. My assumption would be it would be to use at the start of your skin care 3. Use BHA on the other parts of your face, or once a week for your shaved face. Shaving is a physical exfoliating your face hence our skin feels really nice and smooth there compared to the rest of our face. Some Vit C do sting or feel warm a bit. If it bothers you used a Vit C derivative instead of ascorbyl acid. 4. For me it helps to have a sharp razor or switch to a safety razor. Another way to reduce irritation is to use a shaving cream that is really moisturizing or sliperry so your blade glides over the skin. I personally shave with a hydrating cleanser instead of a shaving cream/gel I hope this helps, I unfortunately don’t have a fast facial hair growth since I shave about once in 2 weeks.
upvote

comment

Holyperna

Oily/Sensitive

Thanks a lot! I’ll try your suggestions!
upvote

comment

citrasskin user profile picture

citrasskin

Oily/Resilient

nice sharing and review. thanks 😊
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!