Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

dot955 Views

GUILTY FOR OVERUSAGE OF ACTIVES!

I was watching the latest Lab Muffin Beauty video on 5 Skincare Myth and I am definitely guilty but at the same I think I am learning. I once used BHA twice a day because that was what Paula Choice said, another holy queen we follow but then she did say up to twice a day and it depends on your skin and routine instead of saying flat out about the rule. I once used Vit C twice a day too. I once tried to use almost everything twice a day until my skin barrier was ruined :D It is something I definitely follow and guide myself when giving advice here, if it works for me, it may or may not work for you because I don’t know your routine or what else you use or what your skin conditions is. The general consensus for advice is “this is the X amount of time and concentration you should use” however it should always end with depending on how your skin feels afterwards.
upvote

comment

93 Comments

enne user profile picture

enne

Oily/Resilient

oh i agree but i tend to fall on the opposite spectrum. people always say “don’t overuse actives” to me and suggest using them only twice a week except i’ve realized that doing that does absolutely nothing for my skin. over time and after plenty of experimentation, i’ve figured out that my skin needs a lot more actives than the average person which is why i learn to take advice from people with a grain of salt. like you said, what works for me may not work for others and that definitely applies here. and i try to give out factual advice instead of opinions, and give people options rather than a single instruction they gotta follow. at the end of the day, our skin is personal and no one knows it best other than ourself
upvote

comment

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

Indeed! praise to your resillient skin, I follow the Baumann 16 skin types rules and resilient skin can handle a lot more. Those people who meet the Dermatologist tend to have sensitive skin hence the guidelines for them doesn’t apply to you
upvote

comment

Littledarling27 user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Littledarling27

Oily/Resilient

Yes, I get what you say. When we begin our skincare world we tend to make so many mistakes that may results in skin damage. Over time we learn what to use and how frequently..
upvote

comment

Veracity user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Veracity

Oily/Resilient

Agree! I was guilty of using AHA everyday until I learned the better way. One thing at a time is kinda my thing now. Many can get lost in over marketing of thousands of products nowadays, resources are there for you to dig and research.
upvote

comment

Ivyloveskincarestuff user profile picture

Ivyloveskincarestuff

Oily/Sensitive

Yes, absolutely! When I first discovered acids, I quickly became over enthusiastic due to the overnight results they can give. And when the instructions say it's OK to be used both AM and PM, this is what I followed. Some people can tolerate daily exfoliation. But for me it's so easy to go overboard. Then I had to deal with damaged moisture barrier. Now I'm much more careful but I still love my PC 2%liquid.
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

Less is more 😊
upvote

comment

remedyforbeauty user profile picture
super picky user badge

remedyforbeauty

Oily/Sensitive

so true ‼️‼️
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!