picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

fengfushi user profile picture

fengfushi

Oily/Resilient

dot268 Views

Let’s Just End It: My Toxic Realtionship with Acne

I don’t know how many of you are out there like me: trying for years to perfect our skincare routine and trying literally any products in hopes of clearing up our acne. When I say I’ve tried everything? Whew, I really do mean everything. What’s more infuriating is when you try the “next big thing” that is supposed to do wonders. It started with Proactiv, then Curology, and now it’s a mod podge of brands and products. It gets tiring to try and keep up with all of it. I’ve suffered from acne since I was a kid (yes, I was the only kid in elementary school who already had acne). I’ve generally gotten used to it and don’t mind it some days, but it’s a real mood killer on others. Just when I think my skin is starting to clear up, I look in the mirror and there’s a new zit or pimple or scar that’s just taunting me. If I’m being completely honest, no products have ever worked for me or even helped all that much. I’ve tried St Ives apricot scrub, African black soap, Noxzema Face Pads, Mario Badescu, Cetaphil, benzoyl peroxide, topical creams prescribed to me, oral pills prescribed to me, birth control, taking Vitamin C and B Complex pills, every product from The Ordinary, and the list goes on and on and on. I’m very aware that a lot of those products are TERRIBLE (I wish middle school me had access to Picky back then…), but I just can’t justify spending another cent on a new product anymore because I already know that it won’t work. I’m tired of having acne. I know it doesn’t define who I am and I know it doesn’t make me ugly, but it’s frustrating when you just want to get rid of it. You see beautiful women with perfect smooth skin that glows and you just want it. How many models or actors have you seen talk about their acne openly and show it off proudly? I can count maybe three. I want to love my acne and be confident all the time, but the truth is I can’t. Our standards of beauty just don’t have room for any people like me. I can’t be bare-faced going into work, or I’m unprofessional; I’m seen as lacking hygiene; and let’s be real, I’m seen as ugly (or at least, “oh she has so much potential!”). So maybe this is the part where I ask for a solution and the answer I would get is “get accutane and see a dermatologist!” But it’s not that easy for a lot of people. I know that it’s a hormonal and genetics issue, but god do I wish sometimes at least one of the long lists of products I’ve tried even made a dent. This isn’t really a post looking for help (although if you do have one I’d be happy to hear it… I’m desperate). I’m more so ranting and looking for other people’s experiences. So, what’s your story with acne? Maybe you had a decade-long toxic relationship with acne that you just got out of. How did you manage to break away?
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

10 Comments

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

Oh, my.. I'm so sorry for how acne has affected you 💓 It's good that you've put it out so others may share their experiences. This isn't ranting at all! Talking out your feelings will help you feel better & I sincerely hope you receive the help that's required. 💝
upvote

comment

fengfushi

Oily/Resilient

thank you for the kind words!
upvote

comment

Megz user profile picture

Megz

Oily/Resilient

I feel your pain. I went through 2 DECADES of acne before I finally found a routine and ingredients my skin likes. I still get the occasional pimple or 3, but it's no where near like it used to be. I was also the only kid in Elementary school with acne. I started breaking out around 10-11yrs old, and now I am 30!! it's been exhausting. My parents ordered me proactiv back in the day...I tried everything I could get my hands on. I tried every diet because I thought it was diet related (for me it's not). Hang in there. It will get better. Keep doing your research and finding out what works best for your skin
upvote

comment

fengfushi

Oily/Resilient

Thank you for sharing your experience! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you find helped you with your skin the most? I see that we share the same skin characteristics
upvote

comment

Megz

Oily/Resilient

I eliminated ALL oils (coconut, sunflower, jojoba, etc). The only oil I use is Squalane. I also avoid fragrance, essential oils, and alcohol as much as possible. I recently started using prescription tretinoin as well, but skin was already on the mend since changing all my products and learning that oils break me out. These are some of my HG products. The cream cleanser has fragrance, but it gets washed off so I let it slide.
UV Moisture Milk SPF50+ PA++++

Verdio
UV Moisture Milk SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(4)

favorite

Daily Fresh Green Tea Cleansing Cream

HOLIKA HOLIKA
Daily Fresh Green Tea Cleansing Cream

star rating

(1)

favorite

Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser

COSRX
Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser

star rating

(1464)

favorite

Amore Pacific Ceramide Ato Concentrate

ILLIYOON
Amore Pacific Ceramide Ato Concentrate

star rating

(34)

favorite

Soothing Gel Cream

BY ECOM
Soothing Gel Cream

star rating

(1)

favorite

Verdio UV Moisture Gel SPF 50+ PA++++

OMI
Verdio UV Moisture Gel SPF 50+ PA++++

star rating

(9)

favorite

upvote

comment

fengfushi

Oily/Resilient

Very interesting and thanks for the feedback! For products like The Ordinary’s Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% serum (I don’t think it’s an oil but it definetaly feels like one where it leaves a layer of something on your skin) would you generally avoid those as well? Have you tried vitamin C and retinol before or does the consistency or ingredients cause breakouts
Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%

The Ordinary
Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%

star rating

(67)

favorite

upvote

comment

lhs user profile picture

lhs

Oily/Sensitive

i wish i can break up with acnes and move on asap too✊
upvote

comment

Megz

Oily/Resilient

That vitamin c looks totally fine. Only has 3 ingredients, no oil....I'd use it. The vitamin c I use is a higher percentage. I use prescription retinoid (tretinoin). I use this brand only 0.05%
20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid Serum

Timeless Skincare
20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid Serum

star rating

(98)

favorite

Stieva-A 0.025% Tretinoin Cream USP

Stiefel
Stieva-A 0.025% Tretinoin Cream USP

star rating

(10)

favorite

upvote

comment

fengfushi

Oily/Resilient

I’ll check those out thank you!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!