picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Opinion

SkincareNerd user profile picture

SkincareNerd

Oily/Resilient

dot57 Views

What do you need to know about your loofah

This post is inspired by Santiosmama. I went through her post and saw a lot of people unaware of disposing off their loofah. Full credit goes to her. I researched more about this topic and I want to share what I found. First of all, loofah can harbour mold and bacteria. You can see the mold and smell it too but it doesn’t go that way for bacteria. You hang your loofah up to dry in the shower area, it’s still technically collecting moisture or steam residue from your time spent using it. Dead skin cells lingering in a moist place is a recipe for dangerous bacteria to grow and multiply. So, I want to discuss what type of bacterias are growing on your loofahs and what they can do to your skin. It may have pathogens like staphylococcus, stenotrophomonas maltophila, and group B streptococcus. While these sound like big, fancy words you can just brush off, each one has a less-than-fun consequence. Staphylococcus causes acne, stenotrophomonas maltophila can result in respiratory infections, and group B streptococcus can cause pneumonia, bone and joint infections. So, what we should do? We should disinfect our loofah once or twice a week. We can disinfect by adding one part of bleach to nine parts of water. Let it sit for a while and we have a clean loofah. Try squeezing water out of loofah by paper towels or something and hang it somewhere outside your bathroom to dry. We should not use loofah after shaving as we can break our skin and those pathogens can enter through the skin. Also, natural loofah lasts upto three to four weeks, but the artificial one lasts upto to two months This isn’t all fiction. I read through research articles to confirm it. There are other products you can use instead of loofahs to avoid this hot mess. Other options include silicon brushes, washclothes (wash after every use), and even gloves. I am attaching this article for product recommendations. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/loofah-alternatives
upvote

comment

6 Comments

clumpsymai user profile picture

clumpsymai

Dry/Sensitive

Thank you for the info! ♡
upvote

comment

SkincareNerd

Oily/Resilient

you are welcome
upvote

comment

lusitania user profile picture

lusitania

Oily/Resilient

Loofahs legit scare me because of all the gross stuff that can live in them 💀 I don't trust them to get fully dried out because of their shape
upvote

comment

SkincareNerd

Oily/Resilient

use that bleach hack. it’s recommended by the professionals. Saying that, my loofah is going out and I am not getting one again
upvote

comment

Kaiiixx user profile picture

Kaiiixx

Oily/Resilient

thanks for the extra information ! appreciate it ❤️❤️
upvote

comment

SkincareNerd

Oily/Resilient

you are welcome
upvote

comment

Beautywithhunnie user profile picture

Beautywithhunnie

Oily/Resilient

thanks for sharing❤️
upvote

comment

qilss user profile picture
picky squad user badge

qilss

Oily/Resilient

I'm so glad someone decided to elaborate on this. I was legit scared and worried when I read all the comments from that discussion 💀 Thank you for explaining in detail but in simple layman terms for everyone to understand 💕
upvote

comment

qilss user profile picture
picky squad user badge

qilss

Oily/Resilient

This also applies to dishwash sponges as well. 🧽 Sponges of any kind needs to be disinfected and changed regularly as they are a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. Even more reason to keep it clean since we wash our plates and utensils with it 😉
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!