picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

chelsiapatel user profile picture

chelsiapatel

Dry/Resilient

dot206 Views

How do I know when my Skin Barrier is “Broken”?

This may seem silly or stupid to ask. I’ve noticed a lot of people have mentioned about feeling their skin barrier break and looking for ways for help replenish and I was just wondering how can you tell… Is it just your skin breaking out like pimples and acne? Is it like losing a layer of skin and you’re peeling and dry more? Just curious don’t judge for me not knowing 😅
upvote

comment

15 Comments

elizabeth user profile picture

elizabeth

Dry/Sensitive

You’ll know your skin barrier is damaged when your skin is red/inflamed, itchy, flaky or have acne flare ups. Your skin can feel dry as well. In my experience, i feel like my skin barrier is broken when I have an eczema flare up.. so my skin is itchy, flaky and so irritated that it becomes red. Even the products I usually use in my routine stings/burn so I have to minimise the products in my skincare routine. So my skin is not resillient but have a strong reaction to certain products. Things like weather, stress or over-exfoliation can also damage your skin barrier
upvote

comment

disinclined user profile picture

disinclined

Oily/Resilient

☝️ this is your answer!!🙃
upvote

comment

abc1111 user profile picture

abc1111

Oily/Resilient

It’s different for everyone. I have oily/resilient skin and the first sign for me is extreme heat or burning sensation when applying a product that doesn’t usually causes a reaction. My skin would look good on the outside but I know that I should go easy on the actives. I’d slather extra ceramide-rich products daily until the burning sensation goes away.
upvote

comment

chelsiapatel

Dry/Resilient

I’ve gone through that too and it’s good to know that’s a definite sign of breaking the skin barrier! in the past I’ve always just wondered why in that moment this product I’ve used for a while is not burning my face and as dumb as it may sound I only knew it was “bad” but not why or how it got like that I get that too my skin can look okay and clear but I’ll be super dry or have some red spots that just don’t show up in certain lighting! ceramide-rich products are a great recommendation too and something I’ll look out for/use more too! thank you for commenting! I know we have different skin types but I still relate to these struggles and past feelings and it’s very helpful :)
upvote

comment

funskincaremi user profile picture

funskincaremi

Dry/Sensitive

if your skin is oiler than normal then it's probably broken
upvote

comment

chelsiapatel

Dry/Resilient

interesting! I have had times I’ve been oilier in the past and it used to confuse me as to what skin type I had 😅 so this makes sense!
upvote

comment

Thursday user profile picture
super picky user badge

Thursday

Oily/Resilient

following!
upvote

comment

chelsiapatel

Dry/Resilient

hopefully these comments have/will help you too!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!