picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

themoisturemanifesto user profile picture

themoisturemanifesto

Dry/Sensitive

dot245 Views

Hyaluronic Acid, not so gentle?

Event though Hyaluronic Acid is regarded as “an acid” that is not sensitizing or irritating as other acids like BHA or AHA, I recently realized that it was actually irritating my skin and making my inflammation worse. I was using some actives at the time and I thought the irritation was coming from those actives. However, I came to the realization that it was actually the HA I was using to hydrate and prep my skin for the actives that was causing my inflammation. I changed my HA product and it never got better untill I stopped incorporating and HA serum in my routine. Has anyone had the same problem with HA?
upvote

comment

12 Comments

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

Did you apply HA product on dry skin? HA is a humectant. It sucks moisture in. If you apply it on dry skin, it'll irritate your dry skin. If you're brave to try HA again, please apply on 💧 damp skin.
upvote

comment

Mana0270Influencer user profile picture
super picky user badge

Mana0270Influencer

Dry/Resilient

Thanks Blue white for the suggestion to apply HS on damp skin. I didn't know that, so glad I came across your comment!💕
upvote

comment

elitaaall user profile picture

elitaaall

Oily/Resilient

There are 2 reasons I've heard about HA and irritation: -first as stated by BlueNWhite HA draws in moisture into skin, and whenever you apply it onto your dry face it literally cant suck anything. It sucks natural oils from your face making it tight and itchy and plus the burning sensation. -next, do you use actives along with HA? since the idea of HA is to improve absorbtion, HA may indirectly make your actives (such as AHAs, BHAs, Rets) stronger. As such, your skin might not be able to tolerate it. and perhaps the combination of both reasons above triggers your irritation.. hope this helps!
upvote

comment

themoisturemanifesto

Dry/Sensitive

Hello! I’ve not thought about the second option. Thanks for the information!
upvote

comment

qilss user profile picture
super picky user badge

qilss

Oily/Resilient

Some people actually cannot tolerate hyaluronic acid. Especially in high concentrations. Lower concentrations seem to work fine for some. Other than that, try using it on damp skin as using it on dry skin can cause HA to draw out moisture
upvote

comment

FrenchyPeach19 user profile picture

FrenchyPeach19

Oily/Resilient

Low molecular weight HA can cause redness and inflammation. Check if your products contains Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid. It can also happens when you have too many HA products in your routine.
upvote

comment

themoisturemanifesto

Dry/Sensitive

Yes I’ve read about that too. In some articles it said high moleculer weight has anti-inflammatory propertirs meanwhile low molecular weight can exacerbate the inflammation ☺️
upvote

comment

rizsachan user profile picture

rizsachan

Oily/Resilient

i have heard about this
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Fwee | Pudding Pot & Gloss & Brush event

Picky x Fwee | Pudding Pot & Gloss & Brush

Audience

All Users

Deadline

June 7th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!