picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

N

newbietoskincare

Oily/Sensitive

dot117 Views

Hello!

Hello everyone, I have a question. What do you do when you try a new product and your skin starts to purge. Should I continue using it or should I add an extra soothing step to my routine?
upvote

comment

5 Comments

hexamuted user profile picture

hexamuted

Dry/Resilient

if it’s truly just purging, just keep pushing through it. it normally happens because your skin cells are renewing quicker than normal and causing pimples and blemishes to kind of rush to the surface. it’s disheartening but normal and part of the process. you can certainly add in soothing products, but don’t freak out! the purging will eventually stop. if it’s not purging and it’s irritation or causing you to breakout in bad or painful ways, stop using it immediately. I know it’s sometimes hard to tell between purging and a bad reaction, so you’ll kind of have to be the judge on that unless you want to see a derm.
upvote

comment

N

newbietoskincare

Oily/Sensitive

mine is purging + with 1 painful breakout. it started when I introduced a product into my routine. its only near the chin and the jawline area (a lil bit at the forehead). before that, my skin was all okay. maybe I will add some soothing serum and if it doesn’t get better I might stop it. thank you so much for your tips!
upvote

comment

farahaszar user profile picture

farahaszar

Dry/Resilient

is it really purging? if you sure it’s purging not breakout then continue using the product i experience purging when i start using tretinoin cream to cure my acne.. it start purging at the first week till a month then start to getting better during the purging periods i use an extra shooting and hydrating moisturiser and serum and stop exfoliate oh i make sure never skip sunscreen too because my skin feels so sensitive during the purging periods
upvote

comment

N

newbietoskincare

Oily/Sensitive

I think mine would be purging as there are many of those white cysts popping out on my chin. thank you! I will make sure to put sunscreen.
upvote

comment

gretaskincare user profile picture

gretaskincare

Dry/Sensitive

well it depends on the product...if it's aha+bha it's quite normal. Reduce the use of it (like once a week or once every 10 days if you have sensitive skin). With retinoids it's normale too. If it happens with a toner or a cleanser I would stop right away. Maybe remove that product for two weeks and see if your skin improves or not
upvote

comment

N

newbietoskincare

Oily/Sensitive

okay thank you so much! but mine is just CICA ingredient inside my toner and ampoule 🥺
upvote

comment

kthrrn user profile picture

kthrrn

Dry/Resilient

for harsher products like acids (or basically any active ingredient) I usually like to use lower concentrations and start slow, e.g. once a week. that way, I can begin using it more often over time (if needed) without overwhelming my skin. it depends on the product really! but maybe try using it somewhat less often to decrease the stress on your skin
upvote

comment

N

newbietoskincare

Oily/Sensitive

thank you so much too!
upvote

comment

Zealskinmistry user profile picture

Zealskinmistry

Oily/Sensitive

I prefer not to use for a particular period of time
upvote

comment

Zealskinmistry user profile picture

Zealskinmistry

Oily/Sensitive

I mean to say is after a period of time I will start again if it work outs its OK if not then I won't use that product
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!