picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

Caliie user profile picture

Caliie

Oily/Sensitive

dot215 Views

Questions about retinol ✨

Hi friends ! So I'm doing it,  I'm going to start retinol ! I read a lot about it and know the basics. I'm going to start once a week with the sandwich method. But before I have tons of question ☝️ Are you ready ? Here we go : - I use BHA 3x/week should I stop for a while ? -should I also stop my vitamin C serum for a while too ? Haha - I have redness around my cheeks other than the sandwich method what do you do to minimise the damage ? -I got the 0.3% retinol from good molecule. But I have hormonal acne and I'm terrified of purging (especially since it's holiday season) should I run get a lower dose instead ? (Recommendation welcome) I'm 26- oily-combination skin- sensible-redness-hormonal acne (the whole package 🤪) Thank you so muuuch
upvote

comment

19 Comments

theartofskincarett user profile picture

theartofskincarett

Dry/Sensitive

No need to stop your BHA Use Vitamin C in the AM, Retinol and BHA in the PM…no need to stop Vitamin C either Start slowly…once a week for 2 weeks, twice a week for 2 weeks and eventually increase to 3x a week based on how your skin tolerates I’d avoid gel and lightweight moisturizers, use cream moisturizers to reduce retinization Purging is part of the journey…hang in there because it’s all worth it in the end. it’s a necessary evil but does not always occur
upvote

comment

Caliie

Oily/Sensitive

taking notes 📝 thank you for the encouragement, much needed !! 😊 Do you think this Iunik moisturiser is too lightweight ? I wanted to pair it with the soonjung one for the sandwich method but I'm having doubt now :p
Beta Glucan Daily Moisture Cream

Iunik
Beta Glucan Daily Moisture Cream

star rating

(287)

favorite

SoonJung 2x Barrier Intensive Cream

ETUDE
SoonJung 2x Barrier Intensive Cream

star rating

(300)

favorite

upvote

comment

nattyskinfan user profile picture

nattyskinfan

Oily/Sensitive

Sounds like you’ve done your homework! 😜 The Good Molecules 0.3% is a good starting strength - hopefully mild and enough where you won’t experience purging or irritation. When I started retinol (The Ordinary’s 0.5% retinol in squalane) I kept the rest of my routine the same and just added retinol in slowly, starting with once a week then twice and three times. My skin loved retinol from the start, even with combo skin, hormonal acne, and redness - hoping yours does too!
upvote

comment

Caliie

Oily/Sensitive

That's encouraging ! I guess I'll try slowly with the 0.3% and pray for no purging 🤞🤞🤞
upvote

comment

L

lazymoon

Oily/Resilient

🥰🤔🤔🤔
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!