picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Connect

auderpop user profile picture

auderpop

Oily/Resilient

dot56 Views

How has your relationship with skincare changed over your skincare journey?

Hi Pickies. I was thinking the other day about how the way I choose my skincare products has changed over the years I've been in the skincare game (it's been maybe five years now for me?). For the first year and a half I didn't know much and I didn't look into much -- I was just in survival mode trying to get rid of my cystic acne and making sure my skin wasn't flaking off. My second phase came after that, when I started becoming interested in different ingredients and how to reach my "peak skin" (*cue foreshadowing*). This lead to binge watching tons of skincare videos, and a seven step skincare routine. Granted, it was an improvement over my previous routine, as I did get to tweak it more to fit my environment and skin type. However, this is where the benefits end. I started developing this strange association about how good my skin was (acne-free, even skin tone, smooth and soft texture, etc.) with my knowledge and even my competence. I was overbuying and was close to the point where I wasn't going to be able to finish what I had, so I stopped watching skincare videos, I stopped engaging with the Picky app as much (😓), and unfollowed many skincare brands on IG. (I know many others have expressed similar feelings and helpful encouragements against these negative feelings here on the Picky discussions.) I think I've started a third chapter in my skincare journey where I now have a much more balanced view of my skin, and skincare actually has become a part of my self-care. I've come back to Picky, but I don't watch skincare videos other than those from dermatologists or labmuffin. I'm a lot more patient and I don't obsess over how my skin is doing anymore. If I have acne, I simply make sure to use BHA and an acne patch. If my skin feels dehydrated, I'll tweak my routine to the more hydrating toner and more emoillent moisturizer. But I won't give it any more brain cycles than that. I've also dropped to a four step skincare routine + sunscreen, which is much more manageable for me. I didn't expect this to be such a share-y post, oops. Also apologies in advance if this is a discussion that's been had before -- as mentioned above, I had to stop engaging with the Picky app as much.
upvote

comment

2 Comments

Ozu user profile picture

Ozu

Oily/Sensitive

Such a journey! I started mine 'skincare routine' back then when I just started high school because all my friends were doing it, so I thought I needed it too. I was terribly wrong. Those 'teen skincare' were horrible, and it caused a ton of whiteheads on my skin. Planning to cure it by introducing some other 'teen' skincare and it didn't help. Now, I became less interested in trendy skincare routine. I lean more towards minimal skincare, as I guess we all learn to know our skin better after a couple years of trial and error🤣 Our routine got more concise, and tailored to our unique skin! Cheers to us for understanding our skin better🥳
upvote

comment

auderpop

Oily/Resilient

🎉 it definitely took that trial and error 😆! I'm glad we've found a good skincare fit, and have gotten to the point where we can look back on our previous struggles with a few smiles 😅
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

For me it was first a chore and now it's something I look forward to every day because it's very relaxing 😊 I also think of it as a long-term investment for my skin health rather than just a maintenance routine.
upvote

comment

auderpop

Oily/Resilient

I'm glad it could become a part of your self care routine!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!