picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

glowyamber user profile picture

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

dot366 Views

PIE and damaged skin barrier

Hi! I suffer with so much PIE and tried Cerave Retinol but somehow made my skin worse because it damaged my skin barrier. So, I tried vitamin c serum and glycolic acid in hopes to heal my PIE, but again my barrier got irritated and my face gets red. Idk what to do anymore, how do I fix this. It seems like products for PIE are not good for a damaged skin barrier. Which should I address first. What ingredients should I look for?
upvote

comment

8 Comments

mmskin user profile picture

mmskin

Dry/Sensitive

You just need to focus on repairing your barrier first, and then you can approach your PIE more gently. You’ll need to just cut out actives and go back to basics for a while. No vit c, BHA/AHA, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, and probably avoid too much niacinamide. A simple and gentle cleanser, moisturizer and SPF for a while will help heal your barrier quicker than trying to overload your skin with new soothing products.
upvote

comment

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you! Been really down for quite a long time because of my PIE. But your right, probably the actives are doing more harm to me than good. Will definitely try to have a more simple routine!
upvote

comment

Veracity user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Veracity

Oily/Resilient

Your skin barrier should be addressed first! All actives including your glycolic and retinol and vit C must take a rest for now until your skin don’t feel irritated, it takes various time for different people, some take weeks while others take months. Ceramide is your best friend while rebuilding your skin barrier everything else should be just basic: gentle cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen and you should be good to go, if not then you might need to see a derm.
upvote

comment

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

Yah it’s probably my mistake when my skin feels just a bit better, I immediately go back to my actives which again makes my skin red after a few days. I’ll try my best to be patient and to stick with the basics. Thank you!
upvote

comment

melissareviewsthings user profile picture

melissareviewsthings

Dry/Resilient

I really like the products below when I need to repair my skin barrier. The Midnight Blue can be paired with the Liquid Gold or Great Barrier Relief cream. I find it is be calming and effective. Keep it simple as you are repairing your barrier. it happens sometimes. This community has great advice.
Liquid Gold

Stratia
Liquid Gold

star rating

(92)

favorite

Midnight Blue Calming Cream

Dear, Klairs
Midnight Blue Calming Cream

star rating

(1023)

favorite

Great Barrier Relief

Krave Beauty
Great Barrier Relief

star rating

(369)

favorite

upvote

comment

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you for the product recommendations. Sadly, it keeps happening to me because I’m so impatient. Will really try my best to keep things simple and heal my skin.
upvote

comment

Beautywithhunnie user profile picture

Beautywithhunnie

Oily/Resilient

I agree with the comment above... when my skin barrier was compromised, I went back to the basics... just cleanser, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen. I actually used Cerave cleanser and moisturizer (per my dermatologist)
upvote

comment

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

Yes huhu thank you :( wilp follow these steps.
upvote

comment

romulia user profile picture

romulia

Oily/Sensitive

i think you should try products that hydrating your skin to make your skin barrier stronger. product that has hyaluronic acid, ceramide are good for skin barrier. i hope it helps. and cheer up i hope ur skin will get better soon✨
upvote

comment

glowyamber

Oily/Sensitive

Yes, I’m gonna use a hyaluronic moisturizer to hydrate my skin. Thank you for your kind words. 🥺
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!