picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

slhxbeauty user profile picture

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

dot108 Views

Expiration dates

I generally tend to ignore expiration dates providing the product smells fine and the texture/consistency hasn’t changed. This works both ways I’ve decluttered products which have changed consistency prior to expiration. What do you guys do? Is ignoring expiration dates providing the product seems/smells ok a complete no no?
upvote

comment

8 Comments

Kaiiixx user profile picture

Kaiiixx

Oily/Resilient

i will do a massive skincare clean up from time to time to check on the expiration date. i will prioritise those that almost near the expiration date & quickly use them up first as I hate to waste product & I felt wasted to throw them in the bin. imo I still wouldn’t recommend to use expired products although the products hasn’t gone bad. cleaning up skincare from time to time could not only avoid wasting skincare but also will allow us to pay more attention to some of the products that we bought ages ago but still haven’t open it yet. so far I didn’t waste any skincare & I managed to use them all within the expiration date & honestly I’m proud of myself 🥰🥰
upvote

comment

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

that’s really good advice! see I have a lot of products I’ve opened but then not actually used until past the expiration date, I’m undecided as to whether to get rid of them or risk using as they don’t seem to have gone bad
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

I agree with you but I addition to that if the product contains actives and it is expired I don't think it is worth using it anymore as the actives probably won't do anything anymore.
upvote

comment

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

thank you for your response! I’m still learning and trying to waste as little as possible! resisting temptation to open new products until my others are used up! I may have a declutter too to speed things along though it feels so wasteful
upvote

comment

Betweendots user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

I do keep an eye on expiration dates since even if expiration days are not something so stable - some products survive longer, some shorter, I usually see that products with no preservatives or mild preservatives usually end up going bad earlier than ones with stronger preservatives. If you open a product and it crosses the expiration date it's good to check if the texture has change and PAO date ;)
upvote

comment

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

what’s the difference between a expiration date and the pao date?
upvote

comment

ciszkaay user profile picture

ciszkaay

Dry/Sensitive

First of all, if its really already expired, see the shelf-life date or PAO. So don't toss it away directly before checking it. I usually sort my products based on their expire date, so I won't be mixed up or end up in using expired products. I put them in different shelf, you can use transparent box so that we can still see it and not abandoned it. Hope it helps~
upvote

comment

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

thank you! that’s really helpful!
upvote

comment

elizabeth user profile picture

elizabeth

Dry/Sensitive

same! but i do toss it away if its been a long time after the PAO or EXP date. or if its a product with actives or sunscreen. i dont like wasting product too. so if im in doubt whether I can still use the product, I use it on my body instead.
upvote

comment

slhxbeauty

Dry/Resilient

can you tell me the different between POA and expiration please?
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!