picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

happyglowyskinlife user profile picture

happyglowyskinlife

Oily/Sensitive

dot71 Views

Benzoyl Peroxide Wash and Purging

Hello everyone! I started a Benzoyl Peroxide Wash last week. I thought it would be a great way to deal with adult acne. A little about my skin: - Oily - Acne prone - Sensitive The first day everything was good in the hood. The same goes for the second day. The third day came with breakouts around my mouth and chin. All areas that I usually have pimples. The breakouts are small and look like they have sebum. The same happened to my forehead. I'm not familiar with Benzoyl Peroxide. It's my first time trying skincare with this ingredient. I knew the active was the gold standard to fight acne, and it was precisely what I was looking for. However, the breakouts were unexpected. I felt uneasy and researched about the ingredient. Apparently, it's possible that I might be purging. I would like to know if anyone had a similar experience with products containing Benzoyl Peroxide.
Wash 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

Benzac AC
Wash 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

star rating

(8)

favorite

upvote

comment

5 Comments

Beautywithhunnie user profile picture

Beautywithhunnie

Oily/Resilient

I had similar experience before, then I realized I needed to stop using other actives and serums (espeically retinol)... 'cause the combination caused irritation
upvote

comment

happyglowyskinlife

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you so much for the feedback ❤️ I've been on tretinoin for more than 3 months. I only apply tretinoin 2 times per week. My breakouts were ocasional. Now it's a different deal when I introduced Benzoyl Peroxide 😥 I'll probably should go slow and only wash 1 to 2 times per week.
upvote

comment

adaezedoesskincare user profile picture

adaezedoesskincare

Oily/Sensitive

i have used the benzoyl peroxide I tagged and I did not experience such a side effect. For me after 2 weeks my skin got much clearer and smoother

happyglowyskinlife

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you for sharing your experience ❤️
upvote

comment

Ozu user profile picture

Ozu

Oily/Sensitive

I use 5% benzoyl peroxide for more than 5 years now. If you're only starting, don't use it continuously, use it 2-3times in a week. Only apply a little at a time. I remember my skin used to get flaky during my first few weeks of usage. The main thing is to, moisturize your face after, as it can be very drying in the area of application. You might want avoid using it during daytime and avoid using photo sensitive ingredients such as Vitamin C, as your skin becomes weak after benzoyl peroxide. So, if you have to use it in daytime, remember to apply spf. I don't usuallt breakout after applying benzoyl peroxide since its main function is to kill bacteria and helps to clean clogged pores. Hope it helps😉
upvote

comment

happyglowyskinlife

Oily/Sensitive

Thank you so much for the info ❤️ The detail of using less product was precious. I only applied BPO in my nighttime routine. I've been very generous with moisturizer and added Squalane Oil to minimise the dryness. My main concern were the new breakouts and not so much the drying effect because I've been through that with tretinoin.
upvote

comment

M

MeeTeea

Dry/Sensitive

BPO rarely causing break out. It might be other ingredients in your cleanser (the acrylate copolymer, I guess?). I would say try changing to other brand
upvote

comment

happyglowyskinlife

Oily/Sensitive

I don't know what happened, but the BPO Wash didn't seem to react on the second week. No weird breakouts or purging. Perhaps my skin barrier wasn't doing well because I'm on tretinoin. I'm happy everything got back to normal ❤️
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!