picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

hollywood user profile picture

hollywood

Oily/Resilient

dot119 Views

Tretinoin Routine

I’ve been on tretinoin for a while now, I have a very basic routine that is just cleanser and moisturizer, recently incorporating a toner. What are your recommendations for other steps and products to add into a routine with a retinol? I’m very hesitant as I don’t know which products I should and shouldn’t use with a retinol. Thank you! Edit: I should preface by saying I am on 0.01%, for over a year and a half now. My skin is acclimated to tretinoin.
upvote

comment

7 Comments

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

Retinol is pretty new to my routine. I introduced a gentle serum around 2-3 months ago. I apply it using sandwich 🥪 method. Moisturizer>retinol>moisturizer I apply retinol 2 nights a week. I've not experienced any irritation or purging, thankfully ☺️ I suggest avoiding actives when using retinol. Best to keep to a basic routine on retinol nights.
upvote

comment

mmskin user profile picture

mmskin

Dry/Sensitive

Definitely a collection of hydrating and soothing toners, eye creams to protect the skin around my eyes from the tretinoin migrating, sleep masks/extra occlusive creams/vaseline, maybe some hydrating/soothing serums or gentle serums that target some skin concerns. And SUNSCREEN! need need need sunscreen all the time. I swear I just sat in front of my window too long while using Tret and my face was beet red for days it was beyond painful. unless your skin is fully acclimated to tret I’d say no other actives (vit c, bha/aha, benzoyl peroxide, other retinoids, etc), even if your skin is fully acclimated there’s no need to bother with other actives unless you’ve been on tret for a while and arent seeing good enough results (bc tret takes a lot of time). These are just a few of my tret faves
Cleanse Me Softly Milk Cleanser

Sioris
Cleanse Me Softly Milk Cleanser

star rating

(212)

favorite

Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

COSRX
Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

star rating

(3017)

favorite

Soothing Moisture Skin Essence

ENS Jin Jung Sung
Soothing Moisture Skin Essence

star rating

(120)

favorite

Jericho Rose Crème Nutrition

Abib
Jericho Rose Crème Nutrition

star rating

(190)

favorite

Double Serum

L'ESSENTIAL
Double Serum

star rating

(408)

favorite

Clean Lotus Water Calming Toner

Rovectin
Clean Lotus Water Calming Toner

star rating

(458)

favorite

upvote

comment

hollywood

Oily/Resilient

thank you!! I am not the best with sunscreen. I’ve been on 0.01% tretinoin for about a year and a half, and I am just not happy with my skins current condition. Thanks again for the recommendations!
upvote

comment

amira302 user profile picture

amira302

Dry/Resilient

Is it tretinoin or retinol? Those are 2 different things, tretinoin is the strongest retinoid and I hope you started on 0.025%! Don’t get much actives, the simpler the better because tretinoin does the job by itself, you will need a good hydrating toner and a good moisturizer, you may add an exfoliator once a week and also spf50+
Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

Hada Labo
Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

star rating

(265)

favorite

Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

The Ordinary
Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%

star rating

(200)

favorite

Ceramide Ato Concentrate Cream

ILLIYOON
Ceramide Ato Concentrate Cream

star rating

(839)

favorite

upvote

comment

22blue user profile picture

22blue

Dry/Resilient

it would be better if you use tretonin without any actives and if you see any excessive drying then use the sandwich method by layering moisturiser above and below the tretonin
upvote

comment

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

I am using retinoids at night. I learned my skin does not like retinoids with either exfoliant (BHA or AHA) or Vit C together unless the retinoids is formulated together with it.
upvote

comment

hollywood

Oily/Resilient

I’ve been using a toner in the morning that has aha+bha in it and I’ve had good luck with it! I’m also on a very low amount of tretinoin. thanks for the advice!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!