picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

A

angelskins

Oily/Resilient

dot72 Views

Vitamin C Irritation?

Would anyone here be able to tell me why vitamin c irritates a lot of people? All the people I know tell me that its rough at the start, but that the results are well worth it! I don’t think it exfoliates, so that only adds to my confusion. When I started using my vitamin c serum (The Ordinary 8% ascorbic acid + 2% alpha arbutin) I noticed red blotchy spots in the area between my eyebrows started showing up. I don’t mind them too much, they’re just an annoyance. Hope someone can help :) thanks!
upvote

comment

4 Comments

Finchy user profile picture

Finchy

Dry/Sensitive

I’ve had quite a few vitamin c products burn and irritate my skin, but this usually comes with higher potencies or just crappy formulas that don’t help balance the acidity of the vitamin c. I really like YTTP vitamin c serum… it’s never caused me irritation and is really effective. Plus, I like that it also has caffeine and reduces some of my morning puffiness.
15% Vitamin C + Clean Caffeine Energy Serum

Youth To The People
15% Vitamin C + Clean Caffeine Energy Serum

star rating

(23)

favorite

upvote

comment

yuerain user profile picture
picky squad user badge

yuerain

Oily/Sensitive

some vitamin C can cause irritation. I tried to use vitamin C that is over 10 % not more than 3times per week . also it depends on the formulation of the vitamin C. pH3 formulation does irritates more especially with ascorbic acid.
upvote

comment

L

Lys08

Oily/Resilient

the usual answer to this question is “because l-ascorbic acid has to be formulated at a very low ph to be stable in water and that low ph irritates skin.”. But you’re using a waterless product with no ph at all! So I don’t honestly know. My guess is that either your skin is still getting used to the formula (8% is low but it will still pack a punch to someone who has never used it before), or your skin barrier is stressed out right now so it’s overreacting. Maybe just skip putting it between your eyebrows every other time or put a moisturizing layer there under it until your skin gets used to the product?
upvote

comment

roayieofficial user profile picture

roayieofficial

Dry/Resilient

some says u can get rashes
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!