picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

Peppiemint user profile picture

Peppiemint

Dry/Sensitive

dot108 Views

Squalene! 🌱

Hello! Recently, I’ve heard more about sqalene in products, including some products I currently use. I’m a little confused about the functions of this ingredient. Can anyone please provide clarity? And recommendations on when and how often it should be used in a skincare routine? Thanks in advance 🙏
upvote

comment

8 Comments

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

Squalene is something our skin naturally produces. It is not a very stable ingredient and it's stable and more effective version is Squalane. It's a highly moisturising ingredient but it's sort of 'dry' and absorbs quickly. It's non comedogenic, helps to control sebum production, soften the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
upvote

comment

Peppiemint

Dry/Sensitive

Thank you! I didn’t even know there was a sqalAne! I’ve definitely noticed those effects. Though I didn’t know it was something our skin actively produces. Appreciate the insight!
upvote

comment

Ozu user profile picture

Ozu

Oily/Sensitive

Just to add on, squalane is typically sourced from the shark's liver. One ton of squalane is produced from 3000 of shark's liver. Though there's more plant-derived squalane now in the market, people don't really aware of the environmental concerns that squalane has brought to us.
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

Good point but there are soooo many animal derived ingredients in skincare that if anything isn't labelled vegan, we should automatically assume there's some part of an animal in it. Also many cultures eat sharks so their liver would otherwise be a waste.
upvote

comment

destinationglass user profile picture

destinationglass

Dry/Resilient

Yeah, Squalane (with an ‘a’) is a stabilized form of squalene (with an ‘e’), a moisturizing lipid (fat) that human skin cells produce naturally; unfortunately, squalene is unstable and oxidizes easily; therefore, squalene cannot be used in skincare or makeup products. Squalane (with an ‘a’) is the hydrogenated, and, therefore, stabilized form of squalene that we find in skincare and makeup products. I use a retinol serum suspended in squalane and I reach for this squalane cleanser pretty regularly.
Retinol 0.5% in Squalane

The Ordinary
Retinol 0.5% in Squalane

star rating

(104)

favorite

Squalane Cleanser

The Ordinary
Squalane Cleanser

star rating

(258)

favorite

upvote

comment

Peppiemint

Dry/Sensitive

Ah very informative and thank you for the recommendations ♥️
upvote

comment

annamaria user profile picture

annamaria

Dry/Sensitive

I love this one from Typology it‘s only ingredient is 100% olive 🫒 so it‘s plant based. I use a few drops daily.
Lab-1004 Squalane D'olive 100%

Typology
Lab-1004 Squalane D'olive 100%

star rating

(0)

favorite

upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!