picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

B

bach

Oily/Resilient

dot126 Views

pH matters

Hi, as we all know paying attention to product's pH level is another pivotal thing in building a good skincare regime. I've been using skincare products from korean brand mostly but as I am going to add another product into my routine, a few concerns popped out on my head. So you see, I have a COSRX 96% Snail Power Essence(pH-6.9) which I'd like to pair with my retinol serum which the brand claims to have a skin-like pH(pH 5-6). Ideally you would apply essence first, then serum. In my case my essence has higher pH which means it should be applied after my retinol serum when I meant for it to go first so the retinol serum won't irritate my skin. What I am asking here is if it's ok if I go with my snail essence first? Will its pH level cancel my retinol serum's benefit? A help from derm/ skin expert would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for the answers.
upvote

comment

6 Comments

Peppiemint user profile picture

Peppiemint

Dry/Sensitive

I think you’ll be OK. I have the same issues. while I try to go from low pH to high pH, it’s not aways possible and I think it’s not as big of a deal as it has been. Sometimes I use things in an “incorrect” order for a prolonged period of time and I still see good benefits :) I think its more about doing it over a long period of time thats important!
upvote

comment

B

bach

Oily/Resilient

right?? I just want to give this concern a spotlight and gain insight from fellow people who might've encountered this situation before. I certainly do think they won't interrupt each other too coz their range is still between the skin's pH range.
upvote

comment

Yourskintellectual user profile picture

Yourskintellectual

Oily/Resilient

Sorry, diversion from your questions. Do you measure ph levels yourself at home? Most brands don't indicate product ph levels. This is the one thing that I've not been investigating as it's just too much work 😱
upvote

comment

B

bach

Oily/Resilient

Hi. thanks for the reply and nope haha I didn't. Some brands mention that they have "skin-friendly" pH which translates to 5-6 on pH scale while others come from the insider that mentioned the pH level(in this case it is COSRX. I found it on the internet)
upvote

comment

Alca user profile picture

Alca

Oily/Resilient

Lower or higher pH won't make your retinol serum less effective. It's a myth. Btw, I've been using this essence before my retinol serum, so far without any issues. 🙂
upvote

comment

B

bach

Oily/Resilient

ah thank God. That's good to hear. So u still get all the benefit from your retinol serum I assume?
upvote

comment

Manalsobsessions user profile picture

Manalsobsessions

Oily/Resilient

such a great information
upvote

comment

D

danni21

Dry/Resilient

😱😱😱
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!