picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Routine Help

P

Picky16186

Oily/Resilient

dot69 Views

Mineral or chemical SPF

I am going on holiday to florida in a few months, I am looking to buy a nice sunscreen, I have seen 2 that I really like. They are both from paulas choice, one of them is a mineral one (SPF30) and other one is a chemical one (SPF50). I live in the UK and there is no sun BUT if there is sun I will use a random one, don’t worry😂. I have heard that chemical ones are bad for you skin but I would like a higher SPF. I also have combination/ more oily skin, I’m not sensitive to that many products. Can someone please help me? I will add a picture of the 2 different sunscreens. (The mineral one is the SPF30 & the Chemical one is SPF50)
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

7 Comments

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

The best sunscreen is the one you would want to wear and reapply all the time which is key to wearing sunscreen. Since Paula Choice is selling both types that means both types are good for you hence the chemical ones is not bad. If you have used mineral sunscreen before and like it, go for it. If you use chemical sunscreen and like it, go for that. Paula Choice is American so that means they use older but still effective UV Filters. However some people are sensitive to it, some, not all. Compared to UK and the rest of the worl with newer UV filters than can be less sensitizing. The mineral one is said to be better for gentler for sensitive skin and it could right for you. This one has a tint and depending on the tone of you skin, there should be little or no white cast but then some tints just don’t work. SPF 30 is definitely enough, especially if you reapply every 2 hours although some prefers SPF 50 because it blocks more UV filters. With Paula’s formula they can incorporate more UV filter to push their chemical sunscreen to SPF 50 while SPF 30 for mineral sunscreen is fine because higher content means, it needs more zinc which means more tint which can result the product being oily and dry or white cast. The chemical version has been reported to be very light and many people adore. Since you are going to Florida, US. Paula Choice is going to be easily available to you at Sephora so you can switch sunscreens if you don’t like the other.
upvote

comment

P

Picky16186

Oily/Resilient

thank you so much for you (very detailed) help!! I still have a few months to go but I’ll definitely take your help into consideration!
upvote

comment

BlueNWhite user profile picture

BlueNWhite

Dry/Sensitive

Agree with @Bazz Invest in a sunscreen which you'll keep using. Check out reviews of both sunscreens on Picky & focus on reviewers who have similar skin type to yours. That's a big factor in helping me choose products ☺️
upvote

comment

K
picky squad user badge

Khamoshi

Dry/Sensitive

I prefer mineral.
Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid, SPF 50 Face

La Roche-Posay
Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid, SPF 50 Face

star rating

(83)

favorite

upvote

comment

LearnToSkincare user profile picture

LearnToSkincare

Dry/Sensitive

Just pick what your skin like.. The more important is that your skin always protected from UV
upvote

comment

QueenTania user profile picture

QueenTania

Dry/Sensitive

I like mineral because it’s chemical free and there are ones with a higher spf if you want to try them
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!