picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus βž•

Routine Help

Alca user profile picture

Alca

Oily/Resilient

dot174 Views

What retinol percentage should I use?

I'm 25, so antiaging has become my concern. I want to try retinol, but I haven't tried it before. I'm confused about the percentages because some sources say retinol is effective only from 0.2% above. At the same time, I know that you should start slow, and there are even products with a concentration of less than 0.05%, but I'm sure if they do anything. So I've been wondering what percentage I should get? πŸ€”
upvote

comment

11 Comments

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

Start with a low percentage and perhaps incorporated into a moisturizer so that you can get your skin accustomed to it and prevent irritation, and after that if your skin tolerate it well you can use it as a focused treatment and progressively increase the concentration 😊 I have been using The Ordinary retinol 0.2% I squalane for about 5 months now and my skin is happy with it πŸ₯°
Retinol 0.2% in Squalane

The Ordinary
Retinol 0.2% in Squalane

star rating

(123)

favorite

upvote

comment

Alca

Oily/Resilient

That's great to hear 😊 Thank you πŸ™‚
upvote

comment

Grethi user profile picture

Grethi

Oily/Sensitive

Retinol is affective at any percentage given lower percentage retinol will take more time to show results while a higher percentage of retinol will show result in a shorter period of time but the chances of being irritated and dried out by it will be higher as well. 0.2% seems like a good place to start
upvote

comment

Alca

Oily/Resilient

Thank you, this is very helpful 😊
upvote

comment

cylieskin user profile picture

cylieskin

Oily/Resilient

Start low and slow in my opinion 😊
upvote

comment

Alca

Oily/Resilient

That's always a good idea πŸ™‚
upvote

comment

R

rosegloweuphoria

Oily/Resilient

always start with a low percentage as you do not want to dry out and irritate your skin. slowly start increasing the % once your skin has adapted to retinol and can tolerate higher %. I suggest Night Shift from Stratia. it has a really low % (0.15% I think) and also has ceramides and centella for calming and barrier support.
Night Shift

Stratia
Night Shift

star rating

(10)

favorite

upvote

comment

Alca

Oily/Resilient

Thank you 😊
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!