picky logo
picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Skin Concern

U

userxxi

Dry/Resilient

dot173 Views

Purging or Irritation? Need Skincare Feedback.

im used to having breakouts (small or big) on my forehead for years. so i decided to try and start having a skincare routine. few days/weeks before i started the skincare routine, my cheeks also got acne. my first thought was maybe because of the need to wear mask whenever going out (which i did, mostly due to internship). this is my first time doing a skincare routine. i bought the skincare products based on this app (holy grail/worth a try for oily/combo) to give it a try. my skin used to be oily on the t-zone, but lately (before and after the routine), my t-zone is not as oily as before. everything was kinda fine when i started but as time passes, i noticed that acne on my cheeks got worse and so i decided to change/simplify my routine. to be honest, i dont know if it's purging or irritation. 😔 i attached photos for reference. anyone, in your opinion, the skincare products i used currently (& before) a good choice or any other suggestions? p.s. my forehead is getting better now. currently, im trying to treat my cheeks.
carousel
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

11 Comments

MissySoup user profile picture

MissySoup

Oily/Sensitive

Hi this is how I differentiate between breakout & purging. usually purging is a good sign of the product is working and your skin is adapting to the new ingredient. I'm not sure how sensitive is your skin but I see that your routine contains 2 products that has all exfoliating ingredients in it, you may change it like use maybe one or twice per week bcuz I used to use the product you're using (miracle cream to be exact) and it destroy my skin barrier & still trying to heal until today. I suggest you to stop your current routine and go back to very basic routine as in cleanser > moisturizer for your skin to go back to normal first but I do recommend you to change to other moisturizer other than the miracle cream. then you can slowly add on back your old product to identify which one is the cause of the breaking out. Try products like calming and soothing to sooth your inflame skin first before trying anything new ^^
upvote

comment

U

userxxi

Dry/Resilient

thank you for your feedback! for the moisturiser, instead of the somebymi, i can use the rice cream + hyaluronic acid? or just either one?
upvote

comment

Alca user profile picture

Alca

Oily/Resilient

This looks exactly like what I got after over-exfoliating my skin. You have too many exfoliating products in your routine: AHA/BHA toner and AHA BHA PHA cream. One is enough, and I wouldn't recommend using it daily but rather every other day or every two days in the PM routine only. But until your skin calms, you should stop using them altogether. Next, you don't need so many moisturisers. One moisturiser and sunscreen is enough, or even only sunscreen if it's hydrating enough. Iunik propolis synergy serum is a great choice. It contains propolis, which promotes healing, and niacinamide and vitamin c for hyperpigmentation. I'd recommend getting some calming toner. Keep the cleanser, Iunik serum, eye cream, rice or hyaluronic acid cream and sunscreen. Put everything else on hold for now. 🙂
upvote

comment

MissySoup user profile picture

MissySoup

Oily/Sensitive

Yes you can still use it ^^ as long there's no exfoliating ingredients then it's fine. for oily skin it's actually better you use gel type of moisturizer of course it's depend on your preference. I have tried 2 gel type so far and it was good for me haha
Centella Calming Gel Cream

Iunik
Centella Calming Gel Cream

star rating

(1204)

favorite

Balancium Comfort Ceramide Cool Soothing Gel Cream

COSRX
Balancium Comfort Ceramide Cool Soothing Gel Cream

star rating

(11)

favorite

upvote

comment

qilss user profile picture
picky squad user badge

qilss

Oily/Resilient

Purging usually occurs when you use products with active ingredients that can increase cell turnover. This means products with AHA, BHA and retinoids. Breakouts can happen when your skin is irritated and simply don't agree with the product/ingredient. For now, I suggest using the I'm From Rice cream in the day time and use the Cosrx Hyaluronic Acid cream in your night routine. As for the Some by mi miracle cream, maybe use that twice a week instead of using it daily. You don't need 3 moisturisers in one routine. One is enough. The rest of your current routine looks fine to me. Hope this helps ☺
upvote

comment

C

Cinderellacollins

Oily/Resilient

really appreciate it
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!