picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

Doz user profile picture

Doz

Dry/Sensitive

dot74 Views

need help with skin routine

Hi everyone I've never been one to use skin care products and I'm not getting any younger. I'm 42 now and starting to notice my skin is beginning to dry out and I've got crows feet coming. Any advice on what to start with etc and best products
upvote

comment

5 Comments

Beautyaleert user profile picture

Beautyaleert

Dry/Sensitive

as a beginner I think you should start with the basics. A basic routien would be: 1. cleanser (a gentle one because you have dry skin) 2. a toner (toners have different objectives. I suggest you to start with a hydrating toner and then once you are more experienced you can start interacting exfoliating toners, but you will have to be careful with these because you have sensitive skin and you'll want to start slowly) 3. a serum: a must have especially as we get older, there are plenty of serums that target different skin concerns (aging, brightening, hyperpigmentation...), as with toners I suggest you start with a hydrating toner to get your skin used to things and then maybe you can slowly get into retinol, niacinamide, acids and so on... 4. moisturizer: a good moisturizer is a must to seal moisture and water to the skin. 5. sunscreen for a.m routine: a good spf and frequent reapplication are the most important weapons against aging signs. you can also use washoff masks a couple of times each week. I always do and I love what they do to my skin. i did skip some steps like essence, ampoules, eye creams, and sleeping masks because these are subjective (for some they are a must for others they are optional, you'll have to decide on your own what works best for you). because we have the same skin type I'll leace some of my favorite products currently ✌🏻❤
Sun Fluid Anti-Age SPF 50

Eucerin
Sun Fluid Anti-Age SPF 50

star rating

(2)

favorite

Cicaplast Baume B5 Soothing Repairing Balm

La Roche-Posay
Cicaplast Baume B5 Soothing Repairing Balm

star rating

(597)

favorite

Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

Hada Labo
Gokujyun Premium Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

star rating

(265)

favorite

Mugwort Cream

I'M FROM
Mugwort Cream

star rating

(151)

favorite

Full Fit Propolis Synergy Toner

COSRX
Full Fit Propolis Synergy Toner

star rating

(642)

favorite

Propolis Vitamin Synergy Serum

Iunik
Propolis Vitamin Synergy Serum

star rating

(444)

favorite

Honey Mask

I'M FROM
Honey Mask

star rating

(415)

favorite

Mugwort Essence

I'M FROM
Mugwort Essence

star rating

(465)

favorite

Mugwort Mask

I'M FROM
Mugwort Mask

star rating

(434)

favorite

Hyaluronic Acid Water Essence

ISNTREE
Hyaluronic Acid Water Essence

star rating

(179)

favorite

Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel SPF50+ PA++++

ISNTREE
Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(1047)

favorite

Essential Oil-Free Deep Sea Pure Water Cream

PURITO
Essential Oil-Free Deep Sea Pure Water Cream

star rating

(429)

favorite

Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Blue Serum

SKIN1004
Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Blue Serum

star rating

(362)

favorite

Green Tea Fresh Cleanser

ISNTREE
Green Tea Fresh Cleanser

star rating

(90)

favorite

upvote

comment

abc1111 user profile picture

abc1111

Oily/Resilient

Here’s a sample routine: 1. Cleanse - any mild cleanser or just water in the AM - double cleanse or one really good but mild cleanser in the PM Faves: Bioderma Micellar Water, SkinCeuticals Purifying Cleanser, Paula’s Choice Hydrating Cleanser 2. Treat - antioxidant in the AM. I like vit C, L-ascorbic acid at least 15%. I use Timeless CE Ferulic and SkinCeuticals Silymarin CF - anti-aging in the PM. I started with retinol (anti-acne but works as anti-aging too) and now using tretinoin (the most studied and provern and the only FDA-approved anti-aging ingredient). I use Retin A .05% Cream thrice a week. - some nights, I use azelaic acid or an exfoliant. My current faves, Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid and Biologique Recherche Lotion P50 3. Hydrate - deeply hydrating toner used in the AM and PM. I love gel type toners like Sulwhasoo Ginseng Water. you can also add an emulsion for more hydration. I use Sulwhasoo Ginseng Emulsion. 4. Moisturize - a heavy moisturizer made for dry skin. I suggest getting one enriched with ceramides or pseudo ceramides. Zeroid, Atopalm, Aestura are some good Korean brands. - You may want to use eye cream too. 5. Protect - sunscreen in the AM Skincare routines can be overwhelming for a beginner. I remember when I started getting serious with skincare, I wanted to do all steps - double cleanse, first essence, tone, ampoule, serum, sheet mask, emulsions, moisturizer, eye cream, sleeping mask, sunscreen, etc etc etc. Now, I realized that all my skin needs is to be clean, hydrated, moisturized, treated, and protected.
Doz user profile picture

Doz

Dry/Sensitive

thank you so much I will definitely have a look at these products x
upvote

comment

Beautyaleert user profile picture

Beautyaleert

Dry/Sensitive

you are very welcome ❤
upvote

comment

Finchy user profile picture

Finchy

Dry/Sensitive

Gentle cleanser, ceramide based moisturizer, and a good SPF. That’s where I’d start. Once you’re sticking with it, I’d add in a vitamin C serum for the day and a gentle retinol in the evening (and be aware starting retinol can be a process, not just something you start doing every day). I only cleanse in the morning because my skin is very dry. I don’t bother with eye cream or masks usually either.
Finchy user profile picture

Finchy

Dry/Sensitive

Here are a couple graphics I find helpful too for building out a full routine.
upvote

comment

Doz user profile picture

Doz

Dry/Sensitive

thank you everyone xx
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist event

Picky x Treeannsea | Sand Dune Desert Mist

Audience

All Users

Deadline

August 2nd

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!